Originally Posted by GTSDart340
My 40 amp alternator in my dart took a dump last night. I figured since I've added injection and electronic ignition, I would upgrade to the 78 amp alternator and the newer style voltage regulator. I do have the injection system, electronic ignition, and headlight system attached to the back of the alternator. I did add in the second field wire. Now my ammeter is pegged to the charging side, but the battery is only getting 12.8 volts. What could cause this? I do have another voltage regulator I could try. Could the field wires be plugged in wrong? Electrical is not my strong suit. Thanks!

If there is nothing on the battery circuit other than the battery, then there is a big problem in the wiring between the ammeter and the battery.
Recharging of the battery should never be drawing 40 amps (gage pegged).
30 amps for a few seconds is OK right after starting,
5 amps for a few minutes.
Once recharged it should show zero.

Over 30 amps for anything more than a 1/2 minute and the weakest connections will get hot and then fail.

If the positive field wire is at 12.8 volts and the alternator output is at 14 Volts then there is a bad connection or wire as the others have already posted.