So my 39 Dodge pickup is road worthy, so now I'm chasing down the important things like wipers, door locks, and the finer things of driving.
Today, wipers are on my mind. The truck originally had vacuum wipers and they are long gone (as in not present), wouldn't want them anyway. The wipers on this truck are above the windshield, but mt windshield is now bonded to the frame, so it does not tilt out the they originally did.

That pretty well leaves me with electric wipers. What I've seen available on line is not getting very good reviews. It appears most of the electric wipers on line have very weak motors and plastic gears, they say they won't pull the wiper across the glass unless the glass is wet, and they fail quickly if any snow is present. neither situation sounds very good to me. I don't intend on running the wipers dry, or driving in heavy snow, but I've been in drizzle/mist that tends to produce pretty dry glass after a few strokes, and I've been caught in in some rain snow mix more then once.
Since this truck cab is the same cab Dodge has used on the military 4x4s from WW2 through about 1966, I called www.vintagepowerwagons today to see what options they offer. I know they manufacture parts for these vintage Power Wagons. The word from them was I have 4 options.
1) Have no wipers.
2) Locate and have them rebuild the original vacuum wipers. (no price given)
3) Buy the light duty wipers that caution they are very light duty and not for any snow movement. ($160 complete, + shipping)
4) Buy a special wiper system created for them, that is heavy duty. Comes with both wiper motors, two wiper arms, and two wiper blades. Their system sounds great until he told me the price tag of $775 + shipping...WOW!

So, I'm wondering if anyone may have another option, somewhere between option 3 and option 4 (with a price nearer to option 3) from Vintage Power Wagon. What are you guys doing, and, are the electric wipers on the market as weak as they appear to be? Gene

P1010045.JPG