Originally Posted by Mike P
Several years ago I did a frame off build on a 76 True Spirit D100 factory 440 truck. The True Spirits were basically the brother of the Warlocks so in researching the True Spirit I came across some information that overlapped. When I sold the TS (it went overseas) I sent the books I had acquired with it so I don't have some of the original source material I used to research it. A lot of the information was sketchy and in some cases contradictory but for what it's worth this is what I still have in my notes.

In 1976 Dodge began the release of factory custom vehicles advertised as their Adult Toy Series. Initially the series consisted of custom vans but was soon expanded to include factory customized pickup trucks culminating with the Li’l Red Express Truck in 1978-9.

"....... two new trucks, the Warlock and the True Spirit had already been shipped to Dodge dealers in the San Francisco and Los Angeles areas to test the response of young buyers. These new trucks with their sporty look quickly gained the attention of old and young buyers alike. It seemed that owning a factory customized pickup had become as much a status symbol with some adults as owning a big luxury car. Soon Dodge realized that it was the Warlock that seemed to grab the most attention and so on June 11,1976 R.H. Kline announced to the press that Dodge would immediately release their newest addition to its Adult Toys series, calling it the Warlock......." ( from article "The Last American Hot Rod")

Information from another web page which appears to be no longer active, indicated the initial production run for the Warlocks and True Spirits to test market reaction was 200 each. Those trucks were supposed to all be D100 2WD short bed step sides in a variety of colors and engine options. [/b]

As far as total production for the Adult Toy Series trucks (Warlocks, True Spirits, Warlock IIs and Lil Red Express Trucks) the only information I came across was from Skip Gibbs "Red Express Connection/Truck’in thru the 70s" and "Li'l Red Express truck, Source & Fact book". They listed production figures for the TS and LRE but data for the Warlocks was unavailable.

While the Warlocks were factory produced it should also be noted that the Decal Packages, chrome steps and racks were also available to the dealers so it is possible that that some Warlocks could have been dealer produced (making your documentation very important).

As far as the number of 440 powered W100 produced in 76 that information might be available in Galen Goviers' "Dodge Light Truck Code Book, second edition" (unfortunately my copy went when I sold the TS).

For what it's worth During the 1976 model year Dodge produced 3,521 D100 2WD Short-Bed Step-Side pickups. Only 70 were equipped with the 440 engine. This is just a guess but I would suspect that 440 powered W100 Shortbed Stepsides would be an extremely low figure too.

Most of my research was done 10 years ago and there wasn't a whole lot out there. Hopefully it helps a little bit.

[b]The True Spirit was also sold in Tempe AZ. Didn't ever read about San Francisco. Very few were stepsides. I bought one from the original owners grandson 5 years ago and sold it 2 years ago= Was all original paint/interior etc and came with paper work From shipping. Probably still have copies. The Warlock in 1976 was produce in ;numbers that I believe to remember as like 2100. Seems like that would conflict with total production of 3500 total