Originally Posted by radar
In the alto power pack setup you can buy the pressure plate is .177 or something- dunno if its heat treated or chromoly or tool steel vs the stocker but to make it easy on the machinist doing me a favor I think mine will still be strong enough shaved flat at over .2”? The stocker is just under .280. That avoids measuring snap ring install clearance and chancing a stress riser in the corner from tool marks or whatever.

I have been doing and re-doing my math- with .045 clearance currently I can shave .037 to just barely get in spec at .082” I’m thinking a little extra room for the clutch to slip unapplied isn’t a bad thing since max spec for 4 plates is .151” My guy is coming to pick up the part and my instructions today. I’m planning to tell him I want .070 trimmed off which would give me just under spec until touching the wave snap ring and .115 total gap to flatten the ring. My tom hand book says to measure at the widest gap under the wave so that’d be at .115” which still leaves room to keep the piston seal in its bore as my fibers wear.

Sound like a good plan?

Also while the trans is out I have the slower lever in there- one line on it makes it a 2.9. I have a tf2 kit installed and kevlar bands. Obviously I haven’t yet experienced a 2-3 shift, the 1-2 was noticable but not harsh and didn’t slip. Should I be looking at a higher ratio servo lever and thicker band strut? Is tig welding a reinforcement on the strut worth doing? Again this is a healthy but mild 512 stroker but not a race car and on street tires.

Thanks
Rdr

.012"-.015" per friction is what most of us shoot for. So with 4 friction it should be .048"-.060" clearance. You easily tig weld reinforcement to the band strut .Make sure the ends of the reinforcement don't interfere with the band or band anchor.The ratio levers multiple servo force times ratio. The 3.8 or 4.2 seem to work well. The higher the ratio the longer the servo travels to engage the band.
Doug