Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
The original street and OEM "race" cast grey iron hemi blocks where used in both top fuelers and funny cars until Donovan and Milidon came out with cast aluminum blocks in 1971 or so.
I'm sure all of those old motors far exceeded 2500 HP even back then on nitro fuel work
On your deal I wouldn't worry at all up to or over 1500 HP with a good tune twocents

Yea but some teams retire the good BAE TFXtop fuel blocks after 50 runs....but we are not running nitro. The only reason I am concerned is because this information came from a reputable builder. Obviously the block could be less susceptible to stress cracks at a lower power level. The block would also live longer as long as the tuneup is not on the edge. No lean misfire to upset the load balance. Only 2 options - blame the block failures on a bad tune or a time related high load metal fatigue factor. Lets take into consideration metal fatigue because an engine is dynamic. Its cant be in perfect balance over the entire rpm band. Lot of people will over balance a crank if they know its going to operate strictly hi rpm band as a race engine. Have you ever stood next to an engine on a dyno when its at wot while making over 1000hp ? You can feel the ground shaking at high rpm. Its not like watching it on the engine on a video. The mean piston speed, rotating weight on the bearing increase as you turn up the rpm /boost/power. Keep turning up the power with a steel block... caps start to fret more on these non dowel main caps- lots of force trying to push out the crank out of the block. The firing order has some effect on flexing the crank in the block. Some people think a non Mopar firing order may give a v8 better load balance.. So no two engines are the same. Who can say why that mega block split in half? The other builder told me he seen the same type of failure at 1000 hp . What caused the metal fatigue or stress cracks before this broke ? These block could be tested for durability. I doubt its every been tested by the manufacturer to find out it limitations from a flexing metal fatigue issue.

You can get away with murder in an 1/8th mile, but keep bending the coat hanger back and forth without lifting and then what happens? Aluminum caps in the stock 440 block helped you get past 650hp. I Need more people to say the balance was off on these broken steel blocks to rule out metal fatigue flex factor over 1000hp. I asked Barton this question at one time and he said it would handle more but like anything you take your chances. Even a Carrillo rod can break for no reason. So this Mega block in a bracket car, the temptation to speed up the supercharger is a battle of the mind. One side thinks of going faster and the other side thinks about the cost of a broken block. Just one more pound of boost ! Of just 1/2 degree of timing... just leave it alone.

Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read and give their time, experience, or opinion .