Thanks for the responses. I did consider a stroker kit and certainly that is a very proven combo. However, decided to try to see how good I could make a stock 383 with iron open chamber heads perform. I have milled the head flat and measured all the quench pads. The shallowest area is .080 and the deepest is 0.100. So I'm within the .020 suggested. My deck height will be 9.262. When disassembled the deck height measured 9.965 on one side and 9.974 on the other. Decided to take a .003 cleanup cut on the short side and bring the long side down to match. The tallest CH piston I've found is a flattop 0 cc SpeedPro at 1.920. Using that number in the math says the piston will be .004 out of the hole. With a .039 gasket and a 92cc chamber, the CR calculates to 8.8. I'd have to take an additional .035 cut on the deck to get CR into the 9.5 range. That seemed like a lot and would also require milling the intake surfaces of the heads a good bit. A piston with a 1.995CH calculates to 10.5:1CR on a 0 cc flattop. Adding some probably necessary valve reliefs would drop that down to something that should be a bit more realistic for pump gas. The prices I'm getting for a flattop piston with a custom CH are not cheap, but not unreasonable. Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.