Originally Posted By BSB67
Originally Posted By lewtot184
a 2315 piston and 440 source head are the easiest way to do this. custom pistons/pins with a quench dome may be $1000. I know arias has made this type of piston for 440's so they should know what to do. considering the cost of head refurbishing and new custom pistons i think the 2315 pistons and source heads are an easier alternative and might be cheaper; plus this has a good quench distance. if I was building a 383 this is the combo i'd look at first.

I don't think he's saying quench dome. Just running the flat top piston out of the hole. A quench dome on a 383 probably wouldn't have much of a compression ratio.
I understood that, which I wouldn't do, just wanted to offer a simpler solution from past experience. if a custom quench dome piston was ordered then you can make it whatever you want. I think just using a quench head makes things easier. KB400 pistons are an option for higher compression and can still achieve a reasonable quench distance with an alum quench head. several ways to skin the cat. I did a 383 with 2315 piston and '906 heads a couple summers ago. I was surprised at how well it worked no quench and pump gas. I think the real fly in the ointment could be piston to valve clearance. everybody has to have a big hydraulic cam anymore; turd in the punch bowl.