Originally Posted By Moparmal
Before I start, the subject question is rhetorical....but....

A few mths ago I got talked into buying a “Race” 727 with rmvb from a well known commercial trans company.

I wanted to go with CRT....but international shipping was just too much with our dollar so ended up going to a local retailer and buying a RMVB from CRT and billet servos from a seller on here.

Unfo my upgrade strategy didn’t go far enough....

A guy I know just had an issue with his “race’ trans, and on inspection, we found a lot of ‘heavy duty’ components simply weren’t included....which is kind of surprising as the company claims the trans is good for 800+ HP.

ANYHOW...my question is this.

If I change to a low band apply RMVB....how important is a bolt in sprag.

The motor will be making around 500hp at 3700lbs.

A standard 727 properly assembled without any tricks, will easily handle your power and vehicle weight. The billet front clutch retainer will keep you from getting hurt and breaking the case if you have a driveline issue.

Take a look at an old Direct Connection catalog which shows “race” transmissions available.
These were new, production transmissions built at the transmission plant, using production parts. No bolt in ORC, billet drums, etc.

The problem that I have seen repeatedly is the builders ability to know what is good and what is questionable when reclaiming some of the parts.

Another reason why some builders insist on using new drums, planetaries, etc.
If it fails they can blame the supplier of the part while taking the risk out of the equation.

This same mentality is seen in some dealer repairs,

Not criticising, just stating some findings and facts.