Originally Posted By cuda66318
So I wonder how fast would it be if you put a ECU on it that doesn't retard the timing by 6-8* under load? I will guess and say it would run 10.50's at least.

It's pretty common knowledge that the Orange box retards timing under load starting at 3000 RPM and by 5200 it's retarded by at least 8*.

Orange boxes haven't been made by Mopar for close to 20 years and they are all Chinese copies, less than $5 from China.

There's a reason they specify: "Mopar Performance parts beginning with a “P” prefix are sold “as is” unless otherwise noted. This means that parts sold by Mopar Performance carry no warranty whatsoever."

Summit-No Longer Available
Jegs- No Listing
Mancini- No listing

Ever wonder why?

I checked my timing up to 5000 rpm and it is not retarding my timing at all. I bought my orange box around 1998. This same box and coil were on my sons Dart which ran 11.40's with this same MP orange box that I use on my 63. When he bought an MSD system I put on his Dart his Dart still ran 11.40's with the MSD. It started and ran the same with MSD as it did with this orange MP ECU and Acell coil.

I have heard some say the orange box can retard timing as higher rpm which is one reason I checked mine. And the fact my sons car ran as fast with this orange MP ECU as it did with the MSD ign.

Funny thing is at higher rpm (over 6000) a small amount of timing retard can help power at high rpm. I remember Bill Jenkins used to cut out a set of his ign points in the late 60's when he was still using points in his dist. He did this to retard the timing some in high gear as he had it on a switch to work only in 4th gear. But of course the Mopar ign ECU's are not supposed to retard any timing at higher rpm. I don't know when the MP ECU started being made by cheaper places or oversea's but it seems like many that complain about them have bought them in the last 10 to 15 years. My orange ECU is about 20 years old and still working good. I always carry a spare ECU in my car but have never used it. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 11/14/18 06:48 AM.