Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
This discussion is ignoring that Goody is trying to diagnose a severe engine operating malfunction; falling on its face at 4000.

In order to rule out a timing chain problem he installed a new chain, dot-to-dot, and the problem remained.

As Goody stated, statistically, this ruled out the timing chain. Do some of you not understand this??? If so, you need to enter the 21st century.

Degreeing a cam is important for many reasons. It was not necessary in order to advance (pun intended) Goody's quest for solving this engine's issue.

I didn't forget, in fact I mentioned it a couple times. It's the self proclaimed professionals that know more than anyone else that keep arguing. So let me just put this to rest one last time. I build import twin overhead cam engines with phasers on both camshafts. There are no bushings or kits to degree these cams, even if you could change it the computer is just going to move it where it wants it to be any way. And if I could move it beyond where it can adjust it I would get cam and crank correlation codes that will never go away. So no, it is not necessary to degree every camshaft. In fact I'm about to assemble a hybrid 4 cylinder Atkinson cycle engine. Am I going to degree the cams? Nope. Not all of us are stuck in the stone age as you seem to assume. So continue to assert your superiority if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Every engine is a compromise when it comes to the camshaft. Can gears be mismarked? Sure, can a cam be ground off? Sure, but in reality it is a very small percentage.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.