If I were considering spending a lot of money on an engine that I already had I'd look seriously at fuel injection.
If I were looking for consistency round-to-round and day-to-day that would be another reason for FI. The closed loop using a wideband O2 sensor tunes itself. It tunes itself to whatever parameters are stored in its memory. If a low comes through or the temperature changes drastically the FI will account for that. Maybe bracket racers don't rejet during an event, but it's nice not to have to worry about A/f ratios. (Thumper is starting to get red in the face about now.)

A well set up carburetor can equal or exceed the power from the same engine with FI. That is, it will exceed when the air conditions equal the conditions for which the carb was set up.

On the other hand, if the carb is set up incorrectly or the boosters are such that one needs to run a smaller carb for driveability, then the throttle body EFI allows for much more "carb".

If I were picking a fuel injection system I'd definitely spend more money and get more features, also expandability. For example I like the idea of the computer setting the timing, especially as the distributor machines are being sold on Ebay as antiques. Datalogging is nice to have. Playback can highlight some problems. I can see even putting in a G-sensor.

At this point I'm undecided between throttle body and port injection. I believe that throttle body costs less and allows you to use your current intake manifold. On the other hand, port injection should reduce the fuel distribution issue, maybe eliminate it.

At the latest SEMA show K&N showed a plate system that uses an O2 sensor to add fuel when the A/F ratios go South. It seems like a crutch to me, but it is also an option to consider.

R.

Last edited by dogdays; 09/20/18 02:25 PM.