I have a completely rebuilt '67 barracuda. Ever since I put it together it always had an odd shimmy in the front end. It was never that bad, just something that I could never figure out. It would come and go randomly.

The car is "completely new", full rotisserie restoration, almost every part touched.

Setup:
1. manual steering, I installed and setup myself the 20:1 quick ratio gear box.
2. All new Moog (US) front end components
3. '73 (used, but restored) front disk brakes (and the 10.5" rear drums for big bolt pattern on the back).
4. Alignment done by me with a fasttracks unit. Aligned for maximum caster, I can't remember where I set the camber (1 deg?), and the toe at 1/16 (I think).
5. new rubber LCA bushing, Moog Rubber "problem solver" rubber bushings in the UCA (2x in each in opposing directions)

Car drives straight, but does have a lot of slop in the steering wheel (at least from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock). Overall it handles well.

Sometimes if feels like the front end is moving to the right and left a little bit in some set frequency, moving faster you can "push through it" and then it stabilizes out.

I drove the car today, and it appeared a little worse, but it has been a while from the last time I drove it, so I don't know.

Anyway, I hit a large pot hole on the right side and it entered into what can best be described as the "death wobble" I see on the Jeeps, a violent back an forth on the steering wheel, but still tracked straight.

-------
This is what found and it drives MUCH better!

Well I think I found out what it was... Should have been the first thing I should have checked!!!

The wheels were toed OUT, only slightly but but about a 1/16-1/8.

I toed them back in and it is MUCH better, need to get a real alignment now!

The steering box was definitely loose, which was a factor, or maybe a symptom, and it might never have been completely tight.

Pulled over, checked that everything was tight, tie rods are tight, upper lower ball joints appear tight (still on cotter pins), UCA bolts, LCA bolt, etc. Steering box appears tight to k-frame.

Everything in the suspension appears tight; limped it home, with no major issues, just some occasional left right osculation in the front end.

Any thought of what to look for?

Last edited by 6T6Cuda; 07/28/18 04:45 PM.