Long story short, we picked up a fresh, never-fired LA 360 about a year ago for my Goddaughter's '70 Duster. It had been built by a reputable shop. I usually build my own but due to being in a hurry we just picked this one up locally off of CL. I pulled the pan and it looked like a quality build - nice and clean, rods and crank had been ground on to balance, casting flash ground off of the block, bearing clearances good, etc.

It's a pretty basic 360 - about 9:1, '587 heads, Eddy Performer RPM, #1406 600 cfm Eddy, mild hydraulic flat tappet cam. Don't know the cam specs.

It's been running fine for the last year and about 6000 miles. A month ago it developed a ticking noise. I found 2 collapsed lifters on the driver's side, #3 & #5 exhaust right next to each other. I yanked the intake, inspected the cam lobes (all good) and ordered 16 new lifters. Might as well replace 'em all.

Anyway, swapped 'em all out with cam lube on the bases and lobes, and oiled the sides. Verified they all spun by hand. Everything went back together real nice. Changed the oil and filter with 10w-40 break in oil.

Fired it and after about 3 minutes at 2000 rpm I shut it down because it was rattling away. Didn't want it to destroy itself.

Pulled the valve covers, and the passenger side was fine - everything nice and tight. The driver's side I could easily push down the pushrod side of every rocker and bottom out the lifter. I also noticed a LOT of oil on every rocker of the driver's side; the passenger side looked normal. Oil pressure is fine @ 60 psi.

So, what could these 2 issues have in common - all lifters on the driver's side not pumping up, and excessive oil up top on the same side?

Last edited by vdriver; 04/10/18 06:47 PM.