My two cent? Throw that MoPar ECU as far as you can throw it. They have been inadequate since first introduced and have gotten worse. I put an MSD in my AAR many years ago. The problem with that is that it is too big and looks out of place. So mine is under the rear package tray. It’s a pain to install and when it went out, after 15 years of reliable service, I had to crawl back inside the trunk. Still the best spark, though.

So my latest advice to my customers is go with the Petronix II and flamethrower coil. I’ve install both the one for the point distributor and electronic distributor. The electronic is the easiest and fits the best. It has one wire to each side of the coil and bypass the troublesome ballast resistor. My last customer came in needing a motor job and complete wiring harness. He wanted to make do with an orange box he had until he could afford all of the wiring. We removed the MSD on the firewall and put on orange box and a year one electronic four pin resistor that he had already. From the onset, the orange box would not start consistently. He had some bad wiring that added to the problem. I just finished the car this weekend with the Petronix unit. Car starts perfect and runs better. The first thing I noticed when delivering it was how much smoother the motor sounded. He noticed it as well. Cost? $110 plus the coil and takes about 1 1/2 hrs to install. It’s easy and cheap to carry a spare unit as well if it does go out.

Last edited by fastmark; 03/12/18 10:46 AM.