Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
Originally Posted By Twostick
You should really use a distributor that you can adjust the rotor phasing on. Locking the timing at 36 is all well and good but the ECM has to pull timing out to make the curve and when the engine is at speed the time it takes the ECM to calculate this can use up 10 degrees of rotation. This can put the rotor too far from it's intended tower.

I used an MSD billet with a Cap a Dapt and an adjustable rotor.

A crank trigger can eliminate that plus it will supply a clean tach signal which is critical. It can also allow a coil near plug arrangement if the Fitech ECM will support it.

Kevin

Do you have a part number for your MSD parts?

I'm questioning if timing control is even worth it with an FiTech.

• Overall it still seems like pretty crude control and is overcomplicating something that a distributor does just fine [for the application].
  • Our goal is simply better drivability in any condition with very long road trips in mind.
  • If something hiccups with the FiTech ignition control, we are hosed.
  • Whereas a stock ignition ecu is cheap, readily available and easy to change.

Thoughts?

I don't recall the MSD part# but it's probably older than you are. laugh2

It used the old GM points style distributor cap with the window in the side. If you Google MSD " Cap-a-Dapt " and adjustable rotor, you should turn up some part numbers.

Kevin