You guys are acting like whatever a shop charges goes in your pockets. You've all stated yourselves that the shop doesn't buy your tools, or in some cases pay for your certifications. Sure the shop does provide some equipment, but that is to be expected.

Yes, I am...or was a truck driver. taking some time off from that for a while. But before I started driving, I was a mechanic for 25 years. So I am well aware of what your expenses are, as well as the shops overhead. Maybe I still think old school, when a tune up consisted of more than just six spark plugs and didn't cost $430. Perhaps I wouldn't have been so shocked and upset about it if the shop had told me that the intake has to come off to get to the back plugs. And also told me the truth about the type of plugs needed. Everything I've seen listed for plugs for this car shows it needs double platinum or iridium plugs and he wants to use copper core. I would be needing another tune up i10,000 miles because the ignition system would have burned up the plugs. This guy has been in business for years and he doesn't know that? How am I supposed to trust him with that kind of wrong info.

Maybe $400 is the norm for a tune up on a modern car. Maybe that is something I will just have to get used to if I don't want to work on my own junk anymore. But that is a pretty heavy bill for me. I don't have that kind of money just lying around that I can just say, "Ok, no problem. When can I pick it up?" Not everyone is as rich as you all seem to be.