Originally Posted By MarkM
Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
If it makes you feel any better, a guy I work with was quoted 1k yesterday by the local dodge dealer to change the alternator in his caliber. He looked it on online and his options are to either go from the top and remove the power steering pump, undo a motor mount and push the engine back or go from the bottom, remove the shields and covers, remove the a/c compressor and wiggle it out. Another brilliant piece of chrysler engineering.

This is bringing back some PTSD for me. I owned one of those turds and the alternator died a day before Easter. I replaced it myself and had to go through the bottom exactly how you described, so I was only out the $220 for the alternator. Took me six hours since there were no service manuals because Chrysler wouldn't license Haynes or Chiltons to make one for that line at the time.

To compound it all, the alternator itself was fine. What failed was the damn clutch. Who the hell puts a clutch on an alternator?!

Well the clutch is an over running clutch and pretty much everyone is doing it. When you have to meet ridiculous fuel economy standards every little bit adds up. So just think for yourself as to why we have these ridiculous standards and who implemented them and then act accordingly when it's your time to pull the levers or fill out the ballot.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.