Bump from a few months ago...

I pulled off the heads yesterday and, although I can't say exactly why, I'm not sure that those Mr. Gasket MLS head gaskets actually sealed properly. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's because they both looked kind of wet (coolant seepage?), which didn't seem normal to me.

The purpose of using MLS head gaskets in the first place was because the re-hone as part of this build didn't use torque plates. The machinist said the existing .060" oversize bores distorted too much with the torque plate and did a quick touch-up hone w/o it, so I figured an MLS would reduce some of the distortion vs the typical composition gasket I'd use. The block & head surfaces certainly appeared smooth enough to use an MLS, especially w/ Mr. Gasket saying their nitrile coating was more forgiving of surface irregularities.

Haven't decided on the best option for when the heads go back on:
1. Coat the Mr. G MLS parts w/ "something" and re-use them (and does this require disassembling them and coating all the layers?)
2. Buy a set of Cometic MLS gaskets, since they seem to have a better reputation in this thread
3. Use some of my tried-and-true orange Detroit Gasket "Competition" composition head gaskets

Thoughts?