Originally Posted By Shatar4
Sorry, I must have missed that. My intentions are to have a street machine but would hit the strip once in awhile. As it is right now, the only way I can run it on the street is put Turbo Blue race fuel in it so it won’t tick when hitting the gas. I thought maybe timing was the issue but I have that locked out at 36*. I had a small block 340 in the car before this went in and I guess I was expecting a little more from the 505. It just seems something is not matched with the rest of the recipe. Hope that makes sense.

Ok, with this said, the combo as is should be Plenty mean enough. Somethings wrong with your tune etc.

I remember when I first swapped out my 318 for a mild built 440. The first drive wasn't very impressive, had a hard time even spinning the tires off the line, but it did have a 3.23 gear.

Turned out the carb was pig rich, after figuring that out and getting a better timing curve. Waaaay different animal, could burn the tires at will.

My point, I think what you have as built now should blow your socks off after you get it running right. I agree that your locked timing at 36* is way to much with pump gas and open chamber heads at 11.1 comp

My ride runs about the same between 28 to 34* timing. Not going any higher if I don't have to. If your Pinging, you better back her down Now!

Detonation occurs even before you hear it, and with pinging your hearing it. id be checking my cranking psi, jetting and reduce that timing. I'm guessing you may be lean since your pinging, along with the locked in timing. If this is going to be mostly a street car, you need to get Rid of the locked out timing. Especially with your lower stall vert.

I think the RPM intake is fine, but I would put a spacer on it and move up to a Bigger carb when you get a chance.. It would of been Much better if you would of started with the closed chamber heads as that would of Helped to resist detonation with your 11.1 comp vs your open chamber heads. But I think you can work with the heads you have.