No how do YOU figure laugh2

I wouldn't say that double the air would mean double the air speed. But I would say that the air speed does increase. But maybe that's just the effect of the more pressurized port.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint of the valve is closed, there's some # of boost in the intake manifold behind the valve, now the valve opens and its going to fill the cylinder in less time that at 0 PSI.

It could stand to reason that its simply because the air is more dense. But even assuming a perfect world in which no heat was generated, a turbo or supercharger isn't compressing the air to 2X it's density @ 14.7 PSI of boost, it's creating a pressure differential of 14.7 PSI that acts on the entire engine, cylinder and all. We then measure the level of boost by how much positive pressure is in the intake manifold, which is really kind of a measurement of how restrictive the engine is to the airflow that the turbo generates.

But the intake manifold doesn't contain 2X the amount of air than it would NA like a compressor tank holds air. Rather the turbo or supercharger is creating a pressure differential that acts on the entire engine. This pressure differential acts on the cylinder from the time the valve opens to the time that it closes, filling the cylinder with more air than it would have NA.

When you reduce the restriction of the engine but make no adjustments to the turbo/supercharger system you will see boost change. I.E. if you increase the size of the engine underneath the intake system the turbo/supercharger will need to work harder to create the same boost, and more of the boost will be heat. Or it may no longer be capable of generating the same level of boost.

I won't say its proven fact, but it does seem that ports that are "too big" work very well with boost. But maybe that's just the effect of the more pressurized port. Maybe what we commonly refer to as "port velocity" is really more related to the pressure of the intake port? It could stand to reason that the larger port is less pressurized by atmospheric pressure. But we also know the engine underneath the port has an effect. shruggy

I'm thinking on this now, will probably consume my mind all day. hammer

Last edited by GTX MATT; 11/10/17 12:07 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street