My makeshift adapter worked.

I used the Dorman 800-058 kit with the straight fuel pump disconnect because it locked in place like the factory original connector. Since it did not have the right angle elbow I looped the 18 inches of 3/8 ths nylon line around in a wide 180 degree turn.

I finally got everything together with no leaks.

Why do dropped things end up in the worse possible resting places?

I was going to use the heated 7/16 ths deepwell socket to heat the outside of the original 5/16 fuel line but I dropped the socket while squirming into place and it fell....... into the crevice between truck frame rail and plastic gasoline tank. A telescoping 36 inch magnet finally got it.

I used two tapered center punches alternately submerged in boiling water to heat the nylon lines from their inside diameter.

The brass barbs would not push completely into the nylon lines, lacking about 1/8 th inch to flange, probably because in my cramped position I could not apply enough muscle. I added screw type hose clamps over the line and barbs for added grip but would have prefered the right size of constant tension clamp.

I now intend to eventually drive the truck to a shop with lift where the entire fuel line can be replaced.

Since my 26 gallon tank will have to be dropped,
I am going to look in salvage yards for one of the
34 gallon tanks that V10 engine equipped Clubcab shortbed Rams got around year 1998. These have a different shape than the 36 gallon tanks of regular cab long bed Rams in those years.