So... I suspected the ignition system. Found a billet ready to run ProComp distributor (I can hear the grumbles now) on Craigslist for cheap. Removed the Mopar electronic ignition, distributor, coil and wiring. Reconfigured it for the ready to run with their recommended coil and it will actually run out the back door now! It still doesn't have the power it should.

I did some horse trading for a Mopar M1 single plane and it runs harder in the upper rpms than it did with the cast intake. I also found a Weiand tunnel ram with 2 Edelbrock 1407 carbs for a good price. I'm rebuilding the carbs now. I know. Both bad matches for the engine. I do have a plan.

The cam sounds like it has some lifters that won't stay pumped up. When you start it cold, it sounds like it is missing. Rev it a little end it goes away and doesn't come back. I now have a Hughes Performance Whiplash cam, lifters and valve springs ready to replace the stock set. This cam is made for low compression engines and it is installed advanced to build dynamic cyl compression. Sounds great at idle too!

Once I get my buddies FJ60 out of the garage (installed efi on it), I'll get started on the cam swap. Near future plan will be FItech dual fuel bodies (good for 1200hp naturally aspirated) on the tunnel ram also controlling the timing. The $ I make from the FJ work will almost get me the EFI for my truck. I wish it would fit under the stock hood, but not with air cleaners installed. I'll try it with the hood off for a while then I'm probably going to a lift off fiberglass hood with a 6 pack scoop or I'll just cut a hole in the hood.

I'm also going to be parting out my rock crawler and using some parts for this truck including the efi fuel tank from a 98 Grand Cherokee. It will go behind the rear axle like I used to have it in the Powerwagon before it was converted.

Last edited by MoPwer; 08/17/17 01:46 AM.

-78 Utiline (5.7 Hemi)