So I just got my 1970 Coronet done and on the road. 440 4 speed, great car. Rebuit 440, rebuilt 18 spline 4 speed, shifts like butter.. Heck why worry about the Dana, how can you hurt one of those??? So now I 've got a nicely done car with a Dana that howls like a bit%$# when you let off the throttle. Under acceleration/cruise it is is pretty quiet. Take your foot off the throttle and oh boy, can you hear it whine. It's the original rear (4:10) so I doubt the backlash suddenly went away, so I'm thinking it is one of the bearings. Questions is:
If I buy a bearing kit how hard is it too replace the bearings? I know I can pull the axles and press new bearings on those. I think I could remove the carrier and replace the bearings on the sides of that (keeping the original shims all together, but seems to me to be almost impossible to replace the pinion bearings without the training or tools to adequately do that job. Am I wrong??
I hate the thought of taking the whole assy. out of the car, and taking it to a shop.
any suggestions??