Originally Posted By psh
Yes same on B-Bodies. looking for all the suggestions i can get. These forums are a wealth on knowledge.

This is my first teardown. It's hard to find the time working full time so it's a slow process working on the bird weekends only.

After getting into the changing the cam idea while she's open I cannot believe all of the endless choices.

Why did you list the 2bbl KC327 and not CS661 4bbl cam?

I do like the SE1620BL but now the .503 and .536 valve lift have me a little concerned. I would prefer to put in a known cam with no issues but that info is hard to find for a particular motor. I have a new single bolt timing set installed. Should I go to thee bolt?

I used the KC327 because it is likely the specs are very close to what the stock camshaft is, so we have a starting point for comparison.

The CS661 was the stock HP 4-bbl cam, and the engines that used it had over 9:1 compression.

The Hughes cam is going to cost more, and I think you would need to use their valve springs too. But it should also make more power.

If you are trying to keep costs down, the single bolt timing set is likely less expensive than the 3-bolt setup.
The question is what single bolt timing set is it? You do not want the one with the slot for the cam pin. I would at least get one with the 3 crank keyways, usually 0, 4 advance, and 4 retard.
The 9 way adjustable billet units from 440 source are nice, but cost $99. They have a 3 way adjustable for $60. These multi-keyway crank gears are easier to use to degree the cam in than drilling out the cam pin hole and using the offset bushings.

If I get time tonight, I can plug some of the other cam specs into the calculations spreadsheet and see how they look for dynamic compression.