Any car with DOT 3 that I have left sit for more than a couple years has no pedal when I get it out of storage. The fluid has absorbed moisture and rusted up the cylinders. Minnesota is damp. My experience related in the post above positively demonstrates that DOT does not attract moisture and ruin the brake system. For those of us who store our cars over the winter or longer, this is vitally important. We don't want to rebuild the hydraulic system of the brakes every other year. All of the internet hype about the drawbacks of DOT 5 is irrelevant to 95% of users, including me and the OP.
In 2002 I bought a set of Wilwood front disc brakes for my race car. They had a tag warning not to use DOT 5. I called them and asked why. They said DOT 5 is not hygroscopic, so moisture will collect in the brake system and it will fail. I called bs on that and put in DOT 5. 14 years later I still have those brakes and they have not yet failed or had any issues. Wilwood has since changed their tune, and now they sell DOT 5 with their own name on it, they still say don't put it in a race car. I suppose in another 14 years they will sell race car DOT 5.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"