Originally Posted By dogdays
Needs to be pointed out here that Mopar transmissiions were built to9 the original engine's torque output. So a 318 trans is the weakest of all transmissions that would be built in that case. Transman should enlighten us how to get that trans to a higher torque level.
It's similar with 904s with the 318 getting the 998 and the 360 getting the 999.

I became aware of this when I bought a "bulletproof" rebuilt motorhome transmission only to find out it was a 2-barrel 383 tranny dressed as the MH transmission. I didn't know about the ID numbers until later, to my chagrin.

R

There really is not much difference in a 318 transmission and a 440 transmission. Most of the major changes were year specific.
A few pieces that may be different are the 3 pinion or 4 pinion planetary, and a 3 or 4 or 5 clutch front drum and the number of springs in the drum. There may also be a different governor weight for different shift points, but the rest is pretty much the same. Some of the year changes would be if it has a rear pump, cable shift, cable park, early (pre-67) converter spline count, narrow or wide front drum bushing which also caused a change to the pump support. That just some of the '60-mid '70 changes before lockup converter, and the change in the spline pressure angles.