Originally Posted By geo.
sounds like you should take a long test drive in whatever you're considering.
We have an '08 Durango, 5.7 4x4, bought it new and it's been almost trouble-free.
The second row seats don't give the adult passengers much room for their feet,so if a larger person must ride there, make sure they're comfortable.I spent an hour in the second row of a Commander a few years ago in the middle seat and hated it! Felt like the seat covers were stretched over boards. If you only ever sit up front I think you'll be happy with the Durango.
And the Durango wheelbase is about the same as a Grand Caravan, so parking is no problem.
Gas mileage in town can be as low as 14, but usually around 16. Highway with a light foot you can get over 20mpg.

To be honest, I never use the rear seats in my Scion and they're pretty roomie given it's a 2-door coupe. I've had people sit back there very comfortably. But honestly, in the past 2 years, I have only had people sit in the back of my Scion maybe 2 or 3 times and that was to drive down to lunch at work. 90% of the time, I just fold the rear seats down just so I can hold more stuff in the trunk, which happens on occasion.

If I give up the towing thing, maybe a Jeep Wrangler or Unlimited wouldn't be too bad of an option?