Originally Posted By Dr Dave
I have 3.23's in it now. There is plenty of torque to pull that gear but thought a steeper gear would optimize the package.

Quote:

With a big HEMI you are going to murder 27" tires on the street with any gear ratio. A gear set numerically higher than what you currently have will most likely make driving the car exponentially more exciting.

It seems like quite a few people have been surprised by similar ET's when they went up or down in rear end ratio either way.

I think this sums it up very well. The car will not be any faster or et any better with a gear change. First gear will be crisper, but other than that, the only difference is what gear you choose to be in.

I did notice that you used the word "optimize", probably not by accident. So if you don't like the engine rpm when you are cruising down the freeway (i.e. it is too low) then a numerically higher gear ratio make good sense.

To determine your final OD engine rpm simply put your information into your favorite online calculator, then multiply the rpm by the OD ratio, i.e. 0.64.

Last edited by BSB67; 02/04/17 11:26 AM.