Originally Posted By Big D A12
I will start with the easy answer. Yes, the left hand lugs had a "L" stamped on the side of them. No notches in the lugs I know of.

I can say without a doubt the finish on H wheels was not a "gloss" finish. Semi gloss at best. These wheels came from the M5 factory with a black paint on them. The finish would have then been effected by the cure on any given day. I have seen many different levels of finish on original M5/9 wheels, but none "gloss"

The idea was to keep the cost down as Chrysler knew people were going to run aftermarket wheels. Hence the reason these are so hard to come by, people tossed the originals.

I have a survivor A12 in my shop with it's original H wheels and lugs. I will post some pictures later today. There really is no debate, at least in my eyes.

D

On the note of keeping costs down, in order to get a matte or lower gloss level doesn't another agent have to be added to paint to make it less glossy, and wouldn't that add cost?

I personally think as noted by Dan that the wheels were (high) gloss black, not semi-gloss or matte. All of the dog dish/hub cap car wheels were high gloss body color finish and if the car was a X9 black car they wouldn't have to paint the wheels to match the car cutting costs or did they paint the black wheels black again shruggy

Have to say the wheels came from the vendor in high gloss black and in little or no time in use would lose the high gloss finish and make it appear they were not gloss......until you take the tire off the first time. Just like body paint is originally high gloss finish and then you lift the carpet or remove a panel and either find it still glossy or dull in area even though you know originally it was glossy 45+ years ago. Just my opinion.

MikeR