Originally Posted By Twostick
A show of hands.

How many people here have actually seen a .060" over cylinder fail in a stock type build in ANY Mopar block?

Thought so. laugh2

Kevin

Yes I have had 2 340s crack cylinders and they were both stock bores. They both sat with coolant in them for 20 years or so and caused rust that weakened the bores.

The direct connection performance bible used to only recommend a max .010" over bore. Now we know that is extreme and for performance builds and the OP wants a DD motor.

Like I said earlier I would not bore any moper .060 over personally.

If you can just hone, then why do you need new pistons? Are they damaged?

I have a hand held sunnen hone that I use with a bigazz 1/2" drill and have honed many motors with it successfully and re used the pistons with fresh rings. You would be surprised how some junky bores can be cleaned up and ran for another 100K miles. I have done it numerous times.

Too many people have bored engines when they did not need it and now there are not that many left that are standard bore.

I still have 2 spare 340 blocks that are standard bore and 2 340s with cracked bores that might get sleeves some day if I ever need them.

So yes I have seen more than one engine go bad from cracked bores in small block mopars