Originally Posted By Stanton
Personally I see no logical reason why any auto manufacturer would sponsor any of the pro classes. If you go by the old addage of "what wins on Sunday sells on Monday", what is there about any pro car that would drive someone to the respective dealership - there isn't a single stock part on any one of them and they don't resemble anything rolling off the line. And then there's the cost to bankroll these teams. If I were the guy signing the checks, the big checks would be going to guys racing current body styles so there's actually some "brand recognition". And with the money I saved from sponsoring a few big teams I'd be marketing the hell out of the guys running my stuff. Get back to the days of performance clinics, etc..

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I grew up when you could buy a car something like the race car that won on Sunday. When Pro Stock started in 1970 it was loved by me and all I knew. But today to be honest I have lost all interest in Pro Stock and pretty much all the Pro classes. Dont get me wrong as I respect the work and money these hard workers put into it but I grew up when the factory wars were great and you could tell what each car racing actually was so I could vote for that Hemi Duster or Cuda to win or the 440 six pack Roadrunner would beat that 428 SCJ Mustang and I have never liked any class where all the vehicles look the same. And all the Pro classes look the same as I cant tell a Dodge from a Chevy or Toyota today. Actually even when Pro Stock started some cars like the Hemi Duster and 429 Mavericks did not come with that eng in them but at least they ran the manufacters eng as today they all have to run aftermarket engines if you want to even try to qualify. Myself I would rather watch the FAST and PURE Stock cars race or the Nostalgia Super Stock cars as they are the only ones I care for anymore. But thats because I am older and love what I grew up with. Maybe the younger crowd like Pro Stock of today but as for me I have not even watched a single NHRA race this year. I would rather watch "American Muscle Car" show repeats. Ron