Moparts

Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock?

Posted By: SRT6776

Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 01:05 AM

Elite is out

WYNNEWOOD, Okla. — Elite Motorsports and Mopar have parted ways and the team will go in another direction for next year’s NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Pro Stock season.

The team fields cars for Pro Stock champions Erica Enders and Jeg Coughlin Jr.

“I want to thank everyone at Mopar and Dodge, from the top executives to the engineers on to the people helping us at the races for their hard work and dedication,” said Elite Motorsports team owner Richard Freeman. “My guys should be commended. They basically worked around the clock with pretty much zero days off for the entire season, busting their butts to try and give Erica and Jeggy competitive racecars. We look forward to a fresh start into 2017.”

“We thank the entire Elite Motorsports team, including owner Richard Freeman and drivers Erica Enders and Jeg Coughlin Jr. for serving as superb ambassadors of our brand,” said Pietro Gorlier, Head of Parts and Service (Mopar), FCA – Global. “The drivers and team handled themselves with professionalism and class, constantly working hard to break into the winner’s circle. We commend them for their dedication and never-quit attitude, and wish the team, Erica and Jeg nothing but success in their future endeavors.

“For 2017, we will continue our relationship with Don Schumacher Racing in both NHRA Funny Car, which has culminated in four championships in six years, and also in Top Fuel, and we will expand our presence in the NHRA Sportsman ranks.”

Elite Motorsports drivers and multi-time world champions Jeg Coughlin Jr. and Erica Enders both competed with Mopar-backed Dodge Darts in 2016.

“We really wanted to light up the scoreboards this year with our Magneti Marelli offered by Mopar/JEGS.com Dodge Dart but we couldn’t quite get it running where it needed to be,” Coughlin said. “Like Richard, I salute everyone at Mopar and thank them for the effort. We wish them well in 2017 and beyond.”

Enders shared her teammate’s sentiments.

“Mopar has been wonderful to work with,” she said. “It seems we were chasing it all year and never really got the cars where we could challenge for wins. Hopefully, we can start writing a new chapter and everyone will move forward into a better situation, including Team Mopar. We wish them nothing but the best because they’ve been great partners.”

Enders won the 2014 and 2015 Pro Stock titles with Elite Motorsports, while Coughlin finished top of the class in 2000, 2002, 2007, 2008 and 2013, prior to his time with Elite Motorsports.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 01:21 AM

They still have Roy Johnson who they poop on every chance they get.

Outside of the questionable championship(s) of Wayne County, Roy Johnson is the only guy to get a Pro Stock championship.

This was Jegs third go around with Dodge. Only one was good. There is something about that guy I don't care for.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 01:33 AM

I've said many times, Jeggie want's to be on the winning horse. When his horse isn't winning he want's off.
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 01:45 AM

Based on Mopars comments, I'm betting they're done with Pro Stock. Which means no teams, motor parts, support of any kind, etc.....

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By STEFF
Based on Mopars comments, I'm betting they're done with Pro Stock. Which means no teams, motor parts, support of any kind, etc.....

I know Marathon signed on with J&J for 2017. Unless they are going to a Chevy.

It doesn't help that a foreign company has owned Chrysler for a couple of decades.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 02:13 AM

Everybody keeps whining about the Johnson's...........Regardless of whether you like it, or that the Johnsons have run Mopars for years, makes zero difference. For some reason or another the two sides could not agree on what was needed for the Johnsons to keep the Mopar deal. Unless you were IN the meetings, you don't know anything about any particulars. Probably plenty of blame on both sides.........so just let it go.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 03:13 AM

Sounds Like Team Penske And Dodge All Over Again

We will never know the truth

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Everybody keeps whining about the Johnson's...........Regardless of whether you like it, or that the Johnsons have run Mopars for years, makes zero difference. For some reason or another the two sides could not agree on what was needed for the Johnsons to keep the Mopar deal. Unless you were IN the meetings, you don't know anything about any particulars. Probably plenty of blame on both sides.........so just let it go.

I know some of what happened during the first divorce, and after it.

I will never defend Chrysler on stuff like this.

The thing that pissed me were, in no particular order, Jeg was involved and Roy at least won. Nick Ferrie tried once with a Dodge and his results were similar.
Posted By: topside

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 04:07 AM

Hey, it's easier to slap a Hemi decal on a Fuel car - since they look like Hemis but there's no FCA R&D involved except maybe some wind-tunnel use for FC - than it is to have to develop a PS program.
FCA's just not going to spend the money on that class, they'll play with the Challenger door cars. More bang for their buck there is probably the reasoning.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 05:51 AM

Personally I see no logical reason why any auto manufacturer would sponsor any of the pro classes. If you go by the old addage of "what wins on Sunday sells on Monday", what is there about any pro car that would drive someone to the respective dealership - there isn't a single stock part on any one of them and they don't resemble anything rolling off the line. And then there's the cost to bankroll these teams. If I were the guy signing the checks, the big checks would be going to guys racing current body styles so there's actually some "brand recognition". And with the money I saved from sponsoring a few big teams I'd be marketing the hell out of the guys running my stuff. Get back to the days of performance clinics, etc..

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 06:12 AM

I agree, I haven't understood what possible benefit sponsoring a Pro-Stock car these days gives any manufacturer. Just seems like an endless money pit to sell what? front wheel drive, 4cylinder Darts.........not likely

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 07:01 AM

I agree as well.

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 07:14 AM

I agree, I haven't understood what possible benefit sponsoring a Pro-Stock car these days gives any manufacturer. Just seems like an endless money pit to sell what? front wheel drive, 4cylinder Darts.........not likely

Dodge doesn't even make the Dart anymore - another reason why they'll walk away from the class IMO. Could have been Mopars decision just as much as it was Elite's.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 03:04 PM

Perfect storm of new team/new combo, a class where the technology is 95% centered around the GM DRCE and then....the new FI system where the KB boyz were well out in front on the D&R from the Get-go...and then you throw in the lack of market share for the DART and the CEO trying to sell the company to anyone who would bid.

Sad but true the main Saleable asset for the Chrysler brand in the USA and really the world.....is JEEP. Fact of Business....everything else is an also ran....just like in Pro Stock 2016
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 03:39 PM

There is still another Father/son MOPAR team.Alan is building his own engines and recently bought a haas chassis.I really hope he can find a few HP to compete withose #$%^&* Camaros!

http://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-pro-stocks-alan-prusiensky-making-season-debut-with-dodge-dart/
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/17/16 04:43 PM

They still help Allen some. To my knowledge, Allen is one of the few that doesn't run into part replacement issues the same way newer teams do whether that is due to their current inventory or something else I don't know. I'm curious if they are still having the same issues as before with the engine. From hearing from people that have had experience with both, they always mentioned that the margin for error with the hemi engine was small because the power band was much narrower than that of gm. It will be interesting to see what new designs may be released and how the development of that newer hemi head with the IEIEIEIE valve layout goes. I hope Allen and Wilson can find some things this winter.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/18/16 01:22 AM

They are done with Pro Stock!!!!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/18/16 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
They are done with Pro Stock!!!!

As much as I liked Pro Stock this would about finish off my interest in the class. When Dale Earnhardt died that made me lose interest in Nascar then the Dodges started doing good so it sucked me in again. When Dodge quit I quit again and haven't watched 20 laps since. The chase (NasCar) format really has me confused and I think many others too. Spectators have been walking away from Pro Stock for years and will continue to do so.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/18/16 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Personally I see no logical reason why any auto manufacturer would sponsor any of the pro classes. If you go by the old addage of "what wins on Sunday sells on Monday", what is there about any pro car that would drive someone to the respective dealership - there isn't a single stock part on any one of them and they don't resemble anything rolling off the line. And then there's the cost to bankroll these teams. If I were the guy signing the checks, the big checks would be going to guys racing current body styles so there's actually some "brand recognition". And with the money I saved from sponsoring a few big teams I'd be marketing the hell out of the guys running my stuff. Get back to the days of performance clinics, etc..

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I grew up when you could buy a car something like the race car that won on Sunday. When Pro Stock started in 1970 it was loved by me and all I knew. But today to be honest I have lost all interest in Pro Stock and pretty much all the Pro classes. Dont get me wrong as I respect the work and money these hard workers put into it but I grew up when the factory wars were great and you could tell what each car racing actually was so I could vote for that Hemi Duster or Cuda to win or the 440 six pack Roadrunner would beat that 428 SCJ Mustang and I have never liked any class where all the vehicles look the same. And all the Pro classes look the same as I cant tell a Dodge from a Chevy or Toyota today. Actually even when Pro Stock started some cars like the Hemi Duster and 429 Mavericks did not come with that eng in them but at least they ran the manufacters eng as today they all have to run aftermarket engines if you want to even try to qualify. Myself I would rather watch the FAST and PURE Stock cars race or the Nostalgia Super Stock cars as they are the only ones I care for anymore. But thats because I am older and love what I grew up with. Maybe the younger crowd like Pro Stock of today but as for me I have not even watched a single NHRA race this year. I would rather watch "American Muscle Car" show repeats. Ron
Posted By: dart games

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/18/16 08:14 PM

even nostaligia pro stock only wants 7.90 door slammers,i built a car to run in nostalgia pro stock,when i was told it wouldnt fit in because it wasnt fast enough i traded for the daytona i have now
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/19/16 01:53 PM

A pro stock class based on the rules from the 70's or 80's using late model Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros would be a lot more interesting than the class is today. Original body and chassis. Factory block. etc, etc. Pro mod has become more interesting than pro stock. They just need to leave to blowers for the funny cars.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/20/16 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By dodge daytona
even nostaligia pro stock only wants 7.90 door slammers,i built a car to run in nostalgia pro stock,when i was told it wouldnt fit in because it wasnt fast enough i traded for the daytona i have now

I don't have any interest in this "interpretation" of Nostalgia PS. What I would be interested in would be more of the original cars, Hemi Dusters, 427 Camaros, BBF Mustangs and Mavericks, etc. I guess a lot of guys have old PS cars from the 1980s and with the big inch engines common today they all want to run in the 7s. That isn't the era of PS I want to see, much less build a car for. I'm more interested in the FSS cars like the new DP Challengers, COPO Camaros, and CJ Moosetangs. They are getting close to the 7s as well.
Posted By: 6PAK70CUDA

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/20/16 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By TooMany62s
A pro stock class based on the rules from the 70's or 80's using late model Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros would be a lot more interesting than the class is today. Original body and chassis. Factory block. etc, etc. Pro mod has become more interesting than pro stock. They just need to leave to blowers for the funny cars.

IHRA had a good thing going for a while when it was blower vs nitrous in Pro Mod. NHRA should take Pro Mod and make it the replacement for Pro Stock. The Pro Stockers of today look like wind-tunnel jelly beans anyway. Can you blame ANY manufacturer for not supporting it?
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/20/16 10:38 PM

Whatever the class as time goes on the drivers want more for their car to go faster and that's how we arrived at 2016.

PS is boring, should have left it alone as there were multiple winners.
Factory stock shoot out is better, but huge dollars to play.

Look at stock eliminator, when a 327 Nova is running 10' second ET's within the rules then this has all gone way to far.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/21/16 12:04 AM

Factory Stock is where its at but Mopar dropped the ball there to.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 05:34 AM

Interesting Allen Johnson article. Look up "dedicated" in the dictionary and you'll find his pic!

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/allen-johnson-forging-ahead-with-the-mopar-minority

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 05:45 AM

Well...........maybe that will put to rest some of the "Mopar screwed the Johnson's" whiners. Seems they made an offer Johnson didn't accept, but still gets engineering and parts help. Fail to see how Allen was screwed by Mopar

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 07:00 AM

Well...........maybe that will put to rest some of the "Mopar screwed the Johnson's" whiners. Seems they made an offer Johnson didn't accept, but still gets engineering and parts help. Fail to see how Allen was screwed by Mopar

Yup, another low ball offer.

I can tell you this...for a fact. There was a time when they couldn't even buy a block. It had to be done through a third party.

That is all I'll say because I shouldn't have said that. But it's a FACT.

Just because you don't know it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Screwed by Chrysler again. Once it was the Germans. Now it's the Italians.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By madscientist
Chrysler

Born-1925

Died-1998

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 07:25 AM

It takes a certain amount of money for a one car team. If Mopar wasn't willing to pay what it took and Allen turned what they did offer down, it's not their fault. Maybe they(Mopar) were promised something by NHRA that didn't happen and they chose to limit their involvement.

How can they sponsor a two car team then is next question and that's an easy answer. OTHER sponsors on a two car team, that's how. Especially if one is Jegs

Schumacher has made a great team doing this. He pools ALL the money and divides it equally among cars. That's how a low dollar sponsor like Matco has a car that runs the same as a mega-sponsor car like Army. Can't do that with just ONE car.

Dodge doesn't even make the Dart anymore, why should they even care about Pro Stock anyway. Answer they don't. Rules didn't go their way, they want out. That's not screwing the Johnson's.........that's business
Posted By: LA360

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 07:51 AM

Pro Stock is going to die, give it another couple of years. The factory support will cease soon enough.

The article on Competition Plus mentioned above, Allen Johnson made some good points. Many of which have been mentioned here and other sites. Supercharged, factory engines with 5 speed liberty trans would sound interesting.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By LA360
Pro Stock is going to die, give it another couple of years. The factory support will cease soon enough.

The article on Competition Plus mentioned above, Allen Johnson made some good points. Many of which have been mentioned here and other sites. Supercharged, factory engines with 5 speed liberty trans would sound interesting.

This. Pro Mod will take it's place. I also look for Pro Stock bike to fade to black. Pro Stock just isn't fun to watch any more. Look at the stands when they are running. Fans want nitro or twin turbo'd hemis.

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 10:37 PM

What Pro Stock SHOULD look like

Attached picture musyta g.jpg
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 11:00 PM

NA racing just isn't popular enough anymore. We racers love it but the typical fan doesn't see the excitement in it.

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/29/16 11:12 PM

Not enough stuff blowing up and hitting stuff I suppose smile

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 12:50 AM

Yup, should be new bodies.

The fans have proven they don't care what the power plant is, so they should keep the engines they have, carb or EFI, scoop or not, new crap with a blower if they want it.

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 01:00 AM

I like the idea of taking current chassis, with new bodies and the supercharged factory motors. That would seem a no brainer......but I guess not. That would be Super Stock or Top Stock on steroids which is what Pro Stock started as
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 03:42 PM

A buddy sent me a link on facebook stating that pro stock in 18 is going to be bodied cars, Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro. I so hope this is true since it seems Pro stock is spending themselves out of a gig...

http://dragcoverage.com/factory-cars-pro-stock-2018/

Posted By: ccarson

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 05:54 PM

When NHRA does away with current Prostock format it cannot be too soon
Go to the Stock Eliminator FS shootout style cars and the car counts will instantly double or triple.

On the flip-side I just wouldn't want to be the one at NHRA to send out the letter to the current Prostock teams telling them the recent investment they made to make the NHRA mandated changes fuel injection engine management ect... are now obsolete, because the class as they know it is going away.

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By Moparnut426
A buddy sent me a link on facebook stating that pro stock in 18 is going to be bodied cars, Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro. I so hope this is true since it seems Pro stock is spending themselves out of a gig...

That link is just to a story of some guy saying what HE thinks Pro- Stock should be. Same as we are doing here. If they were actually going to do that, the teams would be the first to know and I doubt we would be having this discussion about Mopar getting out
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 06:54 PM

I get that, I was just adding to the discussion as I feel it SHOULD be done that way. Way cooler and more beneficial o the hobby.

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 07:29 PM

We already have factory stock and top stock, so I personally see no need for another factory chassis, small tire class. I liked the ideas Allen mentioned, which were take the current cars, reskin them and drop in the new motors. That is by far the most cost efficient to totally revamp the class.

A six second car that LOOKS like something on the showroom floor and even has the same motor......That's how pro stock started, factory type cars on steroids
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By Moparnut426

That link is just to a story of some guy saying what HE thinks Pro- Stock should be. Same as we are doing here. If they were actually going to do that, the teams would be the first to know and I doubt we would be having this discussion about Mopar getting out

And wouldn't you just love to be Charlie Westcott, and all your work and money the last 2 years be worthless?

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By ccarson
When NHRA does away with current Prostock format it cannot be too soon
Go to the Stock Eliminator FS shootout style cars and the car counts will instantly double or triple.

On the flip-side I just wouldn't want to be the one at NHRA to send out the letter to the current Prostock teams telling them the recent investment they made to make the NHRA mandated changes fuel injection engine management ect... are now obsolete, because the class as they know it is going away.

They have that class now. No one really cares about it either. You kill PS and replace it with FS you are making a sideways move at best.

Edit: sorry Monte I didn't see your post before I posted. But you are exactly correct.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 11/30/16 11:04 PM

http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/pro-stock-racer-kramer-talks-about-past-future

Derek Kramer..speaks about next year.

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 12/01/16 12:13 AM

No weight breaks.

No RPM limits.

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 12/01/16 12:20 AM

We already have factory stock and top stock, so I personally see no need for another factory chassis, small tire class. I liked the ideas Allen mentioned, which were take the current cars, reskin them and drop in the new motors. That is by far the most cost efficient to totally revamp the class.

A six second car that LOOKS like something on the showroom floor and even has the same motor......That's how pro stock started, factory type cars on steroids

Doing that would be easy for the guys already running but I think it would just turn into modern motor pro mod. Plus if you look at Rob Goss's X275 Challenger he's running 6's already but on radials and no wheelie bars, 414 inch 3rd gen.

They should try to mimic that - keep the stock body, lights, dash, door panels and factory block + heads and cap them at 400 cubes (not sure how to implement the DOHC Ford though)

Posted By: LA360

Re: Is Mopar Done With Pro Stock? - 12/01/16 07:18 AM

I think the factory backing would go to something that resembled the factory superchargers, I don't actually know if the GM, Ford and Mopar stuff all run the same brand or not.
I would think that there would have to be a Comp Eliminator class created for the current P/S cars to go into.
It's a millionaires sport right now, but with the changes that Allen Johnson proposed, you may see more guys like Charlie Westcott competing more often.
© 2024 Moparts Forums