Quote:

The old Cadillac pump that Steve is referring to was used by Volvo as well, but has not been available for years. The newer aftermarket pumps are much louder, and do not seem to have the same vacuum ability.

If you have 4 wheel disc, chances are you will need higher line pressures, which hydroboost was designed for. It is silent, and uses the power steering pump to generate pressure to operate the unit.

I should have given credit where it was due. Peter turned me on to that Caddy pump. My problem with that one is that I didn't mount it with insulators and it vibrated loudly. So I just bought the SSBC pump and used it. I sold the Caddy pump for what I bought it for on ebay for $65. I'm sure it would have worked fine, though the SSBC kit is more attractive if you care about that. The ssbc is VERY quiet btw. I am getting 24" of vacuum before it cuts off I think, so there is NO problem with functionality.

I haven't done the rear disk swap on my car yet, so I can't attest to the effectiveness there yet. I'll know this summer.

After some thought, I think I will still go with hydro boost myself on the next build just to do something different... plus I am swapping from manual brakes, so there really isn't that much of a price difference between the two. The biggest benefit to hydro would be the space saving aspect. I am running a crappy red top Optima so I can fit my electric pump on my battery tray since I didn't want to drill holes in my car (the tray is a repop and I can remove it to have it repainted if I go another direction in the future). With the hydro boost, its up on the firewall, out of the way...

I don't think you can lose either way.