quote=jcc]
Originally Posted By TRENDZ
Yes the case flexes. The issue is, it flexes at the caps. The distance between the driver cap and the passenger cap increases. Internally bracing the housing at the backlash setting adjusters GREATLY strengthens the assembly. The rub marks on the braces proved to me the load that the cap takes. A look at the pig, and it is obvious where the case will move given enough force. I personally proved it to myself. When you make a change, and the problem moves elsewhere, you've "fixed" that problem. Now, did it stop the ultimate demise? No. I ended up with a race intended 9". My only reason for posting this over and over is that the actual reason needs to be disclosed.

I am not clear on what you are observing regarding the caps distance moving apart and internally bracing preventing and reducing that. I can see the carrier moving in the sheet metal housing, likely with both caps leaving a witness mark from the pre load bolts(?), but not sure what internal bracing improves that, or extends cap longevity. I often feel these issues often arise not in the observation, but in the conclusion drawn from them. I agree this road has been traveled many times here, and its still bumpy. grin Your comment on making a change fixing the problem, needs to be careful, a broken leg can be fixed with an amputation. eyes. grin Related also somewhat, the comment often made on this topic, and I can't dispute, and have yet to see/hear conclusive proof of, is caps fail because of broken teeth jamming the gears, and then over stressing the cap(S). I am not clear how one definitely determines that order of failure. [/quote]

The internal bracing had the backlash adjusters supported. This is "side to side" support, not fore and aft like the load bolts. This caused the case from spreading. That stops the backlash from getting wide enough to start chunking off teeth.
Before doing this, the teeth would break and get jammed in between the gears. After doing this, the teeth never broke. The next issue was shearing off the pinion at the yolk. I went through 3 gear sets before doing this(teeth broken) to shearing the pinion with no broken teeth(twice before throwing in the towel)

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"