I put in a bendpak XPR-10A last year. I had the garage built for it. I installed it extra wide (it is an option when you install it) - I would install it wide as it would be hard to position the arms / door clearance if you install it narrow. Had some initial issues - all worked out with bendpak fine.

The only problem with it is I have a lot of new "friends"... I have only used it for one of my projects, but there is almost always something on it..

I would go with an asymetric and I would not install it in the postion outlined in the manual (2/3rds of the distance from the garage door to wall) I wish I would have positioned it back to about 1/2 way or so). I don't have much clearance from the front of the car to the wall the way it is installed.

It is a pain to align the lift arms, but end the end it is no more complicated than getting a jack out and aligning the jack stands - and the car is completely in the air.

One odd point is if you can I would get the 14' version. The cylinder rams hit the top of the posts before you hit the header stop - but the car is usually high enough at this point.