Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
I don't look at the "free play" pedal adjustment or TOB clearance spec recommendations from the mfg,I start with the airgap of the clutch disc, see what RAM specs the air gap at?, if no specs are available, a BorgBeck cover is usually .040 to no more than .050 max, after the airgap spec is achieved and the clutch engagement and shifting into reverse and 1st gear encounter no clash, then look at what you have for free pedal play, and TOB clearances,and adjust those values without affecting the clutch airgap spec

Trying to set the clutch with pedal specs might result in you over centering the clutch cover on release resulting in a damaged cover, or warped cover ring

thanks for the reply,

I'm not actually using the pedal specs to adjust, I just referenced where others say they should be ballpark, at adjustment... I know various setups can be totally different here and ram even states a pedal closer to the floor is usually going to be closer to what they call for. I was using the TOB clearance for my adjustments.

I've seen a couple different methods explained for setting by air gap.. one real involved with crank flange and compressed throwout calculations (outta my league) and another that basically says push the pedal to the floor and measure between disc and pressure plate while adjusting at the rod... which seems wrong if you are suggesting you can alter the bearing clearance after... cause you'd have to turn the rod again. Can you run down the steps to adjust by air gap ?

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com