Originally Posted By Scott440
Bullet proof vests don't use just a handful of layers. I don't know how much your supplies would cost but 30+ layers of kevlar plus epoxy around a bell means material costs beyond $100 for me. So I think the trans blanket suggestion was a good one, unless you really want to get the experience.

If you worked for an exotic car mfr (front engine/trans) and they wanted something more classy than a blanket I think this is a really good idea. You could even take it to the firing range and put a small caliber bullet through it as a simulation. I wouldn't bother with the carbon fiber.

I hoping I can size/pre cut my fabric to prevent as much waste as possible. You are correct, enough layers to do the job will certaintly be more then a handfull.

Your comment on bypassing the CF instills me to ask your reasoning. My thinking, the OEM housing is over 1/4"+- alum, my first layers would be CF, as increasing the overall strength of the alum housing from failure, would be first goal in the event of an explosion, CF is close to stiffness of alum, plus it would likely slightly dampen the alum, and to a lessor degree, maybe protect the following added layers of kelvar, from any arising sharp edges of cracked/broken alum protruding outward. The problem with that scenario is, most of the CF I has seen that failed, has its own sharp edges. My understanding of Kelvar, besides its general robust strength, is its resistant to tearing/cutting, but it can be cut, so sharp edges are to be avoided. Then I was thinking another outside final layer again of CF, since the outside layer would be the first to fail from stress, in an explosion. I also pondered adding a thin form-able layer inside of a SS liner. I'm also thinking I'm talking myself into calling Summit. But that wouldn't be any fun. shock

PS "SportF", this ever saw the drag strip or higher powers, this idea would not be considered, and I cannot see it can do any harm, other then my wallet, nor am I trying to mislead others to follow this path.
"Poly", reinforcing the tunnel, would not protect nearby fuel lines, brake lines, tires, bystandersrs, etc

Last edited by jcc; 06/06/16 11:57 AM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.