Originally Posted By savoy64
my torque converter rebuilding shop friend sent me out looking for a non lockup 518 out of a dakota as he was building a 6.4 hemi into a 27 chrysler sedan--he said lockup clutch failure is becoming a common rebuild causation---and it saves only 300 rpm.....and modern cars computer turns the lockup off in the tranny temp gets too cool...

A lot of people avoid computer controlled transmissions due to the lack of adequate aftermarket programing for the Chrysler units.

I went with a 200R4 for many reasons including that it can be wired with a single switch to lock-up only in 4th gear. It drops out when it downshifts or if you flip the switch. Simple, light, takes less power to spin, its very strong and heavy duty when properly built.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)