I have pulled and refinished the steering column assembly from my 70 Challenger. Decided to replace ignition switch as female connectors in the original no longer made good contact with male side from dash harness side of connector. Am replacing that harness also.

Ordered up new ignition switch and received what for my car is incorrect as shown in the first photo. 2 of the wires,,,red and black terminate outside the connector and are male. The remaining ones terminating in the connector are female.

My original is as in the 2nd photo. All wires from ignition switch terminate in the plastic connector and all are female. This switch is believed to be but not certain, original to the car.

However with few exceptions, when you search for an ignition switch for an Ebody, what you find is as in the first photo.

Questions. Why the difference, what do I now have and where do I find another like it from Moparts part supplier. I have found a couple on eBay but wonder what I really have here.

Third photo is steering column after extensive prep and in primer, now in trim black but no photo yet as still drying.

The 4th photo is of a website that offers to sell what appears the same as what I have removed from my car. Is in British pounds. The part number associated with it, if plugged into google brings up both the correct and the incorrect ones for my car,,,,the red and black wires outside the connector and terminated with male Molex pins and ones with all female terminating in connector.

Realize that I could likely modify the incorrect one if I find the right sized molex females for my car, the replacement unit sent to me but would prefer not to. And am curious as why the discrepancy I am seeing.

image.pngimage.pngimage.jpegimage.png
Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 05/27/16 08:27 AM.