Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
The heads are 452's. It's a .030" over stock-stroke 440. Pistons are TRW L2295's, but the domes have been milled, so maybe it's just 10:1 with .035" head gaskets (?). It runs on 93 octane. I run 1-5/8" headers because the engine is mild & I destroyed one set of Hooker 2" primaries & two sets of Heddman 2" primary headers bottoming out on potholes. I have 4" more ground clearance now.

Definitely only need good head flow numbers only to .500" lift since the cam isn't any bigger. Aluminum heads would be nice if I can afford them for the extra "forgiveness" to nitrous and pump gas... if I can afford them. However, it would be stupid of me to spend $2000 on heads that slow the car down or have no affect, right?

Will trick flows/edelbrock/rpm/etc heads do me any good at .500" lift vs. stock? Slow the car down? Are larger valves worth the money at .500" lift? I'm thinking my options are:
1. bone stock 452's
2. home ported 452's
3. home ported 452's + larger intake & exhaust valve
4. aftermarket head

Everyone would like to have some new aluminum heads, but whatever money I save on the heads goes towards a second stage of nitrous or some lighter rods/pistons or ? Honestly, I think $1500 ready-to-bolt-on is more my budget...and that's a stretch....just skip lunch for 6 months.

The L2295's are only around 10.3:1 with their domes intact on an 88cc 452 head and .039" gasket.... assuming NO excessive Block Milling etc.? because they are built on a 2.029"C.D.,about .055" downhole @ TDC.
So given the above, and the fact that your domes are milled off, I would suggest more probably, you may currently be as low 9.3:1for compression instead of anywhere near 10:1 ?

As a general rule, many don't like Aluminum Heads at lower compression ratios, and it may be adviseable to run your Cam events against a cranking pressure test first, before entertaining an Aluminum head purchase to "see" what you are working with ?

ANY aluminum head ie: stealth /sidewinder, etc., is a flow improvement over any factory cast iron...
that said,
if you are indeed as I suspect down around 9.3:1 for C.R. ? and with the Piston .055" down the hole making quench up around .095"(.055"+ .039"gskt)... just say'in.... the benefits to the investment therein may be very limited in a head swap.

Last edited by Challenger340; 04/07/16 12:03 PM.

Better to be a "has been" than a "never was".