I'm in the middle of a 383, well one turned into two, finally pulling the numbers engine. Fwiw. I'd get the heads off and measure how far in the hole you are. I talked with Dwayne about heads and frankly I think they're the heart of the build. Once you determine your static compression you can have some idea where you're heading. I considered aluminum heads but ended up for now having my 906's done over. 2.14/1.81 bowls ect ect. (I'm into them for well under a grand. I kept the smaller runners of the 906's as opposed to the aftermarket heads and after talking to Dwayne (fast68ply) and discovering that EStreets with 75cc chambers still need $$$ work well, I finally came to the conclusion this was my most economically reasonable choice. I would've used Porters without hesitation but we have a very good head guy out here on the west coast. It saves the shipping.

As for the cam? I've tossed around a few ideas (some of the other 383 posts) since I'm more street than track I'm inclined to stay at or under 230@ .050 if I was going to drag the car more I'd consider slightly bigger solid. In fact I even considered a .557 solid(what came in the second short block I purchased). Just a little too big for my auto with 3.91's even with a loose converter. I realize your 4 gear but you need to consider gearing. 383's love gears. Your cam choice is going to be influenced by your actual compression. If you're closer to 9.1 you may end up in the lower 220's &.050 it's easy to over cam a 383 if you select wrong. As was pointed out the cam should be the last selection once everything else is a known quantity. And I'd say that's also where Dwayne could maximize your build with a custom grind.

Think package, will it have headers, gears, intake, what's the goal? And what can I spend? You'll burn up $2500 in parts and heads quick doing the work yourself.

Current cars: 2000 Dak Quad Cab, 2012 Challenger,1970 Road Runner, 1994 Firehawk

1966 Coronet post sedan, 1988 Corvette, 2005 Magnum RT all SOLD

R70RUNNER<---VP Inland Empire Chapter of the MPM