Hello, I'm a freshman, been reading about Poly stuff on here and found it interesting!
Decided to sign up!
I am in the U.K., and I believe I am the first in the U.K. To build a Poly Stroker.
It is a 402, and Gary Pavlovich supplied me the parts I needed to do this project, and I have recently managed to get it running. One thing I can say, this engine sounds very different to other more popular wedge engines. It has a low meaningful 'Rump' at idle, and revs smoothly and quickly through its rev range with no hesitation. It has a ton of grunt when I give it some gas, very lively, I'm having to run stock log manifolds just at the moment until I finish sorting some custom fender well headers I have been dreaming about!
The engine is the original 318 Poly fitted in my 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury, and that as you all know is a very heavy car! It's got a 727 with a 2800 stall converter, rear end was originally a
3:23 clutch type locker which was optioned with the car, I've since changed these gears for
3:55s, and also managed to convert a B body casing to put it all in, which allows me to fit some pretty big rubber to the Torque thrust rims, and got them to fit nicely under the original arches without having to radius them!
There is a reason I did this, mainly, because people told me I'd bought the wrong car with the wrong engine to make go fast! They were right, but what I have ended up with, is a very fast big car! And it causes people to scratch their heads as to what it is under the hood, as in the U.K., not many people know these engines even exist, or if they do, they'll swing it out and use it as a garden ornament with flowers growing out of it!
From my point of view, it was something different, everyone seems to have the popular wedge or Hemi engine in their car, and they get them to go seriously quick, but it gets a bit boring and samey, so I thought I'd go the poly 402 route and see what happens!
So far, I've got a big C body that seriously shifts! Shed loads of torque, and very responsive, at the moment the log manifolds are holding it back, I reckon there is another maybe 100hp to be had by sorting the headers, that will be awesome!
My ambition is to get this big old Fury down the quarter mile somewhere in the twelves, with this 402 in it, I've still a lot of work to do, I've removed the bolt in fender wells, which has saved a bit of weight, and given me more room to design the headers, it's a big engine bay!
So far, this project has cost a fair amount to get this far, it's taken 10 years from conception to what it is now, I love being unique, the first to do something, and having a goal I'd like to achieve with it, I have a somewhat limited income and have to put money by to buy a this and a that, but I think that is what this hobby is all about for me, and I don't regret a minute of it, I've learnt a hell of a lot, and as time goes by, there seem to be more hop up parts appearing, and will further help me to get this beast down the track at silly miles per hour.
On the road the Fury sounds boss, is very manageable, and instantly responds to a thump on the gas pedal, there aren't many 65 Furys in the UK, and it's a cool looking Mopar, the only Mopar with stacked headlamps, and a pleasing look about it, and when I get it ready for the track, I'm sure it's gonna raise some eyebrows! Anyone interested in having a look, it's on YouTube under 'poly stroker' there's 2 vids of it idling, best listened to with headphones on, to appreciate the sound. Hope you've enjoyed reading this, if there's any interest, or questions about how to get over a certain problem, I'd be happy to help, and keep you posted as to the progress of this project!