Moparts

POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge

Posted By: JC Childress

POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/10/14 11:10 PM

Well..........I guess I've bumped my head but I'm gonna get rid of all the stuff I've accumulated to build a big inch Max Wedge engine and I'm gonna build the Poly 318 instead. I know the power level won't even be close at all but its different ( lots of folks dont even know what one is ), and its less work because I dont have to change motor mounts, transmission, driveshaft or anything else. I know its crazy but I like different and it should be pretty simple. The Poly engine is an interesting piece. I'll update with pics on what we do and after we dyno it I'll post a dyno sheet. Need any big block parts ? LOL
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/10/14 11:44 PM

Quote:

Well..........I guess I've bumped my head but I'm gonna get rid of all the stuff I've accumulated to build a big inch Max Wedge engine and I'm gonna build the Poly 318 instead. I know the power level won't even be close at all but its different ( lots of folks dont even know what one is ), and its less work because I dont have to change motor mounts, transmission, driveshaft or anything else. I know its crazy but I like different and it should be pretty simple. The Poly engine is an interesting piece. I'll update with pics on what we do and after we dyno it I'll post a dyno sheet. Need any big block parts ? LOL

I applaud your decision....I love different myself .... will be watching your build...Thanks

Rickster
Posted By: Twostick

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 12:03 AM

426 inch poly sounds cool.

Kevin
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 01:37 AM

I know the stock Poly heads don't flow extremely well stock but what are the valve angles like from a performance view? I know they're a canted valve design but that's about it.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 03:26 AM

Just keep in mind, Even though the idea is not to sell it, that you are going to spend money towards an absolute loss.

the Max Wedge stuff if built right you can get a good amount of your value back "IF" it does ever get sold.
Posted By: GY3

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 03:45 AM

PM sent.

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 02:34 PM

replied
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 03:13 PM

Watch Chrysler Power magazine. They've got some guys that are really hot on the Poly deal....Hot Heads is making some good heads for them. There are also some good cams available, and some good intake/carb combos. I think it has a lot of potential.

www.chryslerpower.com
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 03:14 PM

I believe you can make a 392 with the 4" arm.
And yes you bumped your head.
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 04:21 PM

Quote:

With an updated valve train and some good porting, POlY's have lots of potential. There is so much material in that head to play with. I was convinced it would make a great Super Stock GT combo if not for the awful OEM valve sizing. If mopar wasn't so concerned about weight, this head would of put SB Mopars way ahead of the game.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 05:51 PM

Time for some rain on this parade The Poly heads, all versions that Mopar made, where a compromise to save money over making the hemi heads and valve train parts When Mopar smarten up and introduce the conventional wedge heads on the 273 in 1964 and later on all the other SB those motors started to make decent power and started getting decent mileage OP, its your choice, flog that old dead technoligy piece or step up to a newer, better choice
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 06:50 PM

There are no after-market poly heads.
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 07:19 PM

JC, send me an e-mail jlemire426@gmail.com I will send you photos of the poly in my 67 Valiant that I just drove trouble free from Indiana. It's no tire fryer but it does make impressive torque.

Gary has everything imaginable for polys and is trying to talk me into a stroker version but I have me mind set on a 408 sb with a blower, after all, it's only a street car.

I am planning on running my car at Fontana soon to do a before and after so when I do I will post the times.

Joey
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 07:48 PM

JC, your original post said everything that needed to be said. There are enough cookie-cutter combo's out there to sink a battleship. Go for it and have fun, good luck with it....

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/11/14 08:04 PM

Exactly. I'm not trying to build a race engine. I work at a race engine shop....all day, every day. If I wanted 1200HP and 900 ft lbs tq......of course I'd choose a different combo. This is gonna be the simplest,least expensive and quickest route to be out cruising......and guess what....DIFFERENT....imagine how many folks will look under the hood and say " what is that ? " It will sound real nasty, still have over 400 HP and 400 ft lbs TQ....if not, its no biggie....

Thanks for all the input. I do appreciate it.

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/12/14 12:11 AM

For what it's worth, I pulled into Bob Mazzolini's shop and opened the hood and it took him a minute to recognize it and then we had a good laugh,

it is different,like I stated in another post, driving half way across country in a 4-speed A-body with 3:23's it averaged 14 mpg and approx. cruising speed of 68-70, the engine has ported heads and intake, completely stock bottom end and a Scneider solid lifter cam.

There was a guy at the Riverside California cruise in a couple of months ago with a poly with twin throttle bodies and electronic fuel injection, very cool car.

Joey
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/12/14 10:14 PM

it's your time and your money, so make yourself happy. I applaud the difference and would be very interested in how this works out.
Posted By: sportfury70

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/13/14 02:59 AM

lots of folks dont even know what one is

I know what one is- its the 318 wide block
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/13/14 03:50 AM

I remember years ago Mancini had some headers for Poly heads in their clearance section maybe they still have some left
The heads look like they could flow with some work but then you mentioned you were building a basic good running street so flow numbers at low lift should be easy to attain. Every once in a while an aluminium intake pops up on Ebay.
Did RAS make rockers for them
Gus

Attached picture 8206559-rearviewsavoy.jpg
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/13/14 04:34 AM

Is this 318" the same engine family as a 1957 354" non Hemi engine?
Posted By: mike s

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/13/14 04:55 AM

400 h.p is not that hard to achieve. LA eng stroker crank 4 in and +.090 bore job is 400 c.i. Cyl hds flow close to stock edelbrock LA's after a good port job and larger valves.Brand new intake available,modern dual plane.Cams,headers, roller rockers are available.One I was involved with actually made 505 h.p with a roller cam.

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/13/14 09:40 PM

No.
Families:
Dodge (4.1875" bore pitch) 241, 259, 270, 315, 325
Plymouth ("A" series, 4.460" bore pitch) 277, 301, 303, 313, 318, 326
Chrysler (4.5625" bore pitch) 301, 331, 354

Note: 301 Chrysler engine not related to 301 "A" series
No DeSoto poly motors, those are Dodge-based engines
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/14/14 06:59 AM

I know a guy with a stroker Poly, its 358 cubes and made around 450 horsepower with a dyno queen carb. Head flow was impressive, I think it was around 290 CFM. LOTS of money to make 450 horsepower though.

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/14/14 04:06 PM

290 cfm would be VERY impressive but I've never heard of a poly head being that good.

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/14/14 04:40 PM

Quote:

290 cfm would be VERY impressive but I've never heard of a poly head being that good.

I am thinking more in the 255 cfm range, this is a terrible head to begin with but one of my buddies is trying some new things that we talked about on the heads, should be interesting to see the results.

They sure are fun to play with. The intake that Gary Pavlovich and Roland are putting out is a cool piece. I am going to an LA based engine in the Valiant but I almost hate to pull the poly!

Joey
Posted By: mike s

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/14/14 05:58 PM

255-260 cfm is correct. Intake side is very good,exh side is similar to an FE Ford and not so good.There is talk of an aluminum cyl head being built.Overall not as bad as people think.

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/14/14 07:25 PM

There is talk of an aluminum cyl head being built

and it will still be talk in 30 years.
Not enough volume...
Posted By: RockChip

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/15/14 10:15 PM

Mine made 430hp and 444tq on a conservative dyno on E85 with the 2 4bbl cast iron intake and 2 600 edy carbs
Custom solid cam of course with around .600 lift
Tons of head work !!!!!! But still needs more

Runs high 11s @ 3700

Lots of work but the look on the Mopar guys face is priceless once they all take a double look, " that's a Poly " !!!!!

I have a clip but not sure if I can get it to load here

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/16/14 09:33 PM

Crank,rods,pistons and intake ordered. I'm gonna use a hydraulic cam for simplicity and cost.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/16/14 09:51 PM

Quote:

It was hogged out 906 territory, maybe not quite 290 but it was north of 270. I remembered thinking it was on par with Eddy RPMs for B/RB engines

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/16/14 11:20 PM

Thats durn sure good...real good for those heads. You remember what size valves you used ? 11/32 stem ?
Posted By: 1964superstock

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/18/14 02:08 AM

I've been a 318 Poly Engine fan for many years, and it will be fun to see more Poly builds in the future. For anyone interested in building a 318 Poly Engine, this might interest you. I have an NOS Weiand 7503 Aluminum 4 barrel intake manifold (not made any longer), still in the original box. If your interested, please send me an PM.

Attached picture 8211591-IMG_7425.jpg
Posted By: Gary Pavlovich

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/18/14 10:05 AM

I am late to the Poly party but am here to encourage my friend J.C. and anyone who is interested in building a Poly engine as it is a unique but worthy and rewarding endeavor and we make HUGE average HP & torque with paltry performance parts; IE.

390cid Poly Stroker motor:
4" LA Stroker crank
SIR forged rods
234 @ .050" Hyd. flat tappet or 244@.050" Solid flat tappet cam
9.5 to 1 compression w/forged Poly pistons
1.94/1.60" stainless oversize valves
211/164cfm intake/exh. flow @ .500" lift w/stock 1.5 adv. rocker ratio
Ancient 1957 Plymouth cast iron Poly dual quad manifold w/500cfm Edelbrocks
Homemade 1 3/4" Tri-Y style headers
Electronic Ignition with 16deg. initial & 34deg. total advance w/91 octane unleaded swamp water fuel...we achieved the following power:

On the engine dyno (break-in numbers only and not fine tuning) we made peak numbers of 412HP @ 5300rpm and 440ft.lbs. torque @ 3300rpm which is nice but the AVERAGE power is where the Poly shines - from 3500rpm to 5500rpm (you can't hurt an engine at that low RPM range) we AVERAGED 375HP and 428 Ft.Lbs. of torque...and still made 391HP at 6000rpm. Those numbers make power EVERYWHERE and will throw you back in the seat and keep you there. We are making about 300ft.lbs. of torque off-idle and about 360ft.lbs. @ 2200rpm and it just climbs and hangs there.

However, for the aspiring Hot-Rodder with more discretionary income we do have some "trick" HP parts to make 500-600+HP but it depends on your goals. We also have some future R&D that promises to make much, much, more power but those parts will be designed to blow away some powerful B/RB/and Stroker Wedge engines...but for now we can easily satisfy anyone wanting to make an easy (and HONEST) 420HP & 450ft. lbs. of torque with a "boat anchor" throw-away motor where the cores are "free" and there is no added expense of fabbing & modifying your B-body to accept a Big Block (Big Block Mopars are KILLER engines and if that is the route you want to take, we will applaud & watch you trounce the "other" guys at the finish line - no insults here in our Mopar family).

We are approximately three weeks away from finishing the first New Poly aluminum 4bbl. intake manifold in 50yrs. and it is a true High Performance dual-plane intake with modern design enhancements; generous plenum for all HP power levels, tapered & pressure matched runners to prevent A/F pollution of the intake charge during high cam overlap conditions...tall sloping runners designed for velocity and delivering the air/fuel charge as a "straight shot" to the back of the intake valve...

We also have T&D bolt on Poly Roller Rocker setups, TTI full-length Poly Headers, High Flowing Gregg Hekimian CNC ported Poly Heads and other great Poly performance "trick" parts...Hekimian Poly Head Flow:
28" of water
intake 1.94" exhaust 1.625"
11/32" stems
.100" 75/63
.200" 158/105
.300" 218/130
.400" 241/171
.500" 250/192
.550" 256/198
.600" 260/201
.650" 264/205

Take care,
Gary Pavlovich
glpavlovich@cox.net

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/19/14 05:01 AM

Quote:

I am late to the Poly party but am here to encourage my friend J.C. and anyone who is interested in building a Poly engine as it is a unique but worthy and rewarding endeavor and we make HUGE average HP & torque with paltry performance parts; IE.

390cid Poly Stroker motor:
4" LA Stroker crank
SIR forged rods
234 @ .050" Hyd. flat tappet or [Email]244@.050"[/Email] Solid flat tappet cam
9.5 to 1 compression w/forged Poly pistons
1.94/1.60" stainless oversize valves
211/164cfm intake/exh. flow @ .500" lift w/stock 1.5 adv. rocker ratio
Ancient 1957 Plymouth cast iron Poly dual quad manifold w/500cfm Edelbrocks
Homemade 1 3/4" Tri-Y style headers
Electronic Ignition with 16deg. initial & 34deg. total advance w/91 octane unleaded swamp water fuel...we achieved the following power:

On the engine dyno (break-in numbers only and not fine tuning) we made peak numbers of 412HP @ 5300rpm and 440ft.lbs. torque @ 3300rpm which is nice but the AVERAGE power is where the Poly shines - from 3500rpm to 5500rpm (you can't hurt an engine at that low RPM range) we AVERAGED 375HP and 428 Ft.Lbs. of torque...and still made 391HP at 6000rpm. Those numbers make power EVERYWHERE and will throw you back in the seat and keep you there. We are making about 300ft.lbs. of torque off-idle and about 360ft.lbs. @ 2200rpm and it just climbs and hangs there.

However, for the aspiring Hot-Rodder with more discretionary income we do have some "trick" HP parts to make 500-600+HP but it depends on your goals. We also have some future R&D that promises to make much, much, more power but those parts will be designed to blow away some powerful B/RB/and Stroker Wedge engines...but for now we can easily satisfy anyone wanting to make an easy (and HONEST) 420HP & 450ft. lbs. of torque with a "boat anchor" throw-away motor where the cores are "free" and there is no added expense of fabbing & modifying your B-body to accept a Big Block (Big Block Mopars are KILLER engines and if that is the route you want to take, we will applaud & watch you trounce the "other" guys at the finish line - no insults here in our Mopar family).

We are approximately three weeks away from finishing the first New Poly aluminum 4bbl. intake manifold in 50yrs. and it is a true High Performance dual-plane intake with modern design enhancements; generous plenum for all HP power levels, tapered & pressure matched runners to prevent A/F pollution of the intake charge during high cam overlap conditions...tall sloping runners designed for velocity and delivering the air/fuel charge as a "straight shot" to the back of the intake valve...

We also have T&D bolt on Poly Roller Rocker setups, TTI full-length Poly Headers, High Flowing Gregg Hekimian CNC ported Poly Heads and other great Poly performance "trick" parts...Hekimian Poly Head Flow:
28" of water
intake 1.94" exhaust 1.625"
11/32" stems
.100" 75/63
.200" 158/105
.300" 218/130
.400" 241/171
.500" 250/192
.550" 256/198
.600" 260/201
.650" 264/205

Take care,
Gary Pavlovich
glpavlovich@cox.net

Well, it's about time you showed up Gary, LOL!! HMMM! maybe we should put something together for the Valiant. I will be down soon to see you maybe she should discuss this.........................

Joey
Posted By: FuryUs63

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/20/14 05:58 AM

JC,

Welcome to the world of daring to be different. As Gary P. knows this was the theme of my build from the start. Back in 2005 I teamed up with Bill Richardson owner of Ram Racing Engines to blueprint build what I envisioned as a Rolex Poly stroker. The most difficult part of the project was to keep him from building a full race 500hp racing engine. Cruise nights & car shows is my game now and I live in a Stop Sign and Traffic Light environment. Machine work at his shop within the Terry Walters Racing in Lynchburg, Va. began. The engine has been on the road since Sept. 2010, several members on this site know my car, it has a distinctive sound unlike any other Mopar you've been up close and personal with.

Here are some of the specs on my engine using a 1964 318 block, bored .090", stroked to 3.58" making 359 cu.in.

Callies Dragon Slayer crank
Crower forges rods
CP Carillo forged aluminum pistons 9.5 CR
Racer Brown ST-14 flat tappet cam 266 deg. .486" lift
Howard pushrods, RAM blueprinted rockers 1.5 ratio
Weiand 7503 intake
REV valves 1.96 in 1.60 exh
Mallory 57 distributor
TTI headers, 3" Max Wedge exhaust, Spin Tech XL mufflers

On the dyno this smaller 359 in. package made 392 hp @5700 rpm, 392 tq. @4200 rpm.
This build created an engine that revved up quicker and held a flatter torque cure than a 4" stroke.

As for scrapping the Max Wedge project, I just sold my Max Wedge in April. Not to compare the 2, the maxie is what it is, the Poly Stoker is what it is. But when I open the hood the reaction from Mopar or Brand X owners is the same...what is it.

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/20/14 10:48 PM

Quote:

JC,

Welcome to the world of daring to be different. As Gary P. knows this was the theme of my build from the start. Back in 2005 I teamed up with Bill Richardson owner of Ram Racing Engines to blueprint build what I envisioned as a Rolex Poly stroker. The most difficult part of the project was to keep him from building a full race 500hp racing engine. Cruise nights & car shows is my game now and I live in a Stop Sign and Traffic Light environment. Machine work at his shop within the Terry Walters Racing in Lynchburg, Va. began. The engine has been on the road since Sept. 2010, several members on this site know my car, it has a distinctive sound unlike any other Mopar you've been up close and personal with.

Here are some of the specs on my engine using a 1964 318 block, bored .090", stroked to 3.58" making 359 cu.in.

Callies Dragon Slayer crank
Crower forges rods
CP Carillo forged aluminum pistons 9.5 CR
Racer Brown ST-14 flat tappet cam 266 deg. .486" lift
Howard pushrods, RAM blueprinted rockers 1.5 ratio
Weiand 7503 intake
REV valves 1.96 in 1.60 exh
Mallory 57 distributor
TTI headers, 3" Max Wedge exhaust, Spin Tech XL mufflers

On the dyno this smaller 359 in. package made 392 hp @5700 rpm, 392 tq. @4200 rpm.
This build created an engine that revved up quicker and held a flatter torque cure than a 4" stroke.

As for scrapping the Max Wedge project, I just sold my Max Wedge in April. Not to compare the 2, the maxie is what it is, the Poly Stoker is what it is. But when I open the hood the reaction from Mopar or Brand X owners is the same...what is it.

Geez Nick, did Gary P put you up to this, LOL. Jason Rhoades bought my 65 Dodge and now I have the Valiant with the poly and am really liking it oddly enough. I took it to the cruise night in Glendale, California last night and got a ton of positive responses on the poly so I am thinking maybe I should follow your path and ramp it up. Gary does have some cool parts and yours is a good example.

I see you used Bill Richardson, I always thought he was one of the best engine builders that no one knows about, definitely a top shelf guy to deal with!!

Dang it, might just show up at one of the dairy cruises in Danbury with a stroked Poly, LOL

Joey

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/21/14 04:02 PM

I've known Bill Richardson for many,many years. I drive right past his shop coming to work everyday and going home at the end of the day. I like Bill but I work at a race engine shop myself, so its not logical to use him but I do call him and we sonic check blocks for him occasionally.
I've got the Poly engine out and will take it apart after work today. Lots of parts are already on order but keep in mind this is a cruiser, not a max effort race engine. I appreciate the info from everyone. Keep it coming.

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/21/14 08:17 PM

Joey, A Poly storker in your Valiant, hold on. Sad to say but the Marcus Dairy cruise is just a memory, it's now a new shopping center...Nick

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/21/14 08:33 PM

J.C. Next time you see Bill tell him I said hello. I've only spoke with him once since he moved away from TWR and into his new shop.

This is a photo of Bill Richardson showing my Poly Stroker on the Dyno, Who's Your Daddy!

Nick

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/7069/28b8f9.jpg

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/22/14 01:51 AM

Quote:

Joey, A Poly storker in your Valiant, hold on. Sad to say but the Marcus Dairy cruise is just a memory, it's now a new shopping center...Nick

The biggest hold up I have is headers, the stock exhaust hits the torsion bars now so I can't imagine headers will fit any better and I hate to cut the fender wells.

Sad to hear about the Marcus diary, Well! back to brutalizing the Berlin Turnpike!! LOL

Joey

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/22/14 05:59 PM

Got the Poly apart yesterday. Interesting piece for sure. I'm getting a lil excited now.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/22/14 06:29 PM

Quote:

I've known Bill Richardson for many,many years. I drive right past his shop coming to work everyday and going home at the end of the day. I like Bill but I work at a race engine shop myself, so its not logical to use him but I do call him and we sonic check blocks for him occasionally.
I've got the Poly engine out and will take it apart after work today. Lots of parts are already on order but keep in mind this is a cruiser, not a max effort race engine. I appreciate the info from everyone. Keep it coming.

Didn't realize you guys were so close to Bill Richardson. He's been a customer of mine for many, many years, dating back to my days with Pro-Fit.

Take some pics and share them with us please!

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/22/14 09:53 PM

I dont even know how to put a pic on here from my phone....lol

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 07/25/14 09:45 PM

Started porting on the heads. Lots of parts are here. This is a pretty neat ole engine. I went with a hydraulic cam as opposed to a solid .
Posted By: Rupert402

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 02/01/16 06:00 AM

Hello, I'm a freshman, been reading about Poly stuff on here and found it interesting!
Decided to sign up!
I am in the U.K., and I believe I am the first in the U.K. To build a Poly Stroker.
It is a 402, and Gary Pavlovich supplied me the parts I needed to do this project, and I have recently managed to get it running. One thing I can say, this engine sounds very different to other more popular wedge engines. It has a low meaningful 'Rump' at idle, and revs smoothly and quickly through its rev range with no hesitation. It has a ton of grunt when I give it some gas, very lively, I'm having to run stock log manifolds just at the moment until I finish sorting some custom fender well headers I have been dreaming about!
The engine is the original 318 Poly fitted in my 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury, and that as you all know is a very heavy car! It's got a 727 with a 2800 stall converter, rear end was originally a
3:23 clutch type locker which was optioned with the car, I've since changed these gears for
3:55s, and also managed to convert a B body casing to put it all in, which allows me to fit some pretty big rubber to the Torque thrust rims, and got them to fit nicely under the original arches without having to radius them!
There is a reason I did this, mainly, because people told me I'd bought the wrong car with the wrong engine to make go fast! They were right, but what I have ended up with, is a very fast big car! And it causes people to scratch their heads as to what it is under the hood, as in the U.K., not many people know these engines even exist, or if they do, they'll swing it out and use it as a garden ornament with flowers growing out of it!
From my point of view, it was something different, everyone seems to have the popular wedge or Hemi engine in their car, and they get them to go seriously quick, but it gets a bit boring and samey, so I thought I'd go the poly 402 route and see what happens!
So far, I've got a big C body that seriously shifts! Shed loads of torque, and very responsive, at the moment the log manifolds are holding it back, I reckon there is another maybe 100hp to be had by sorting the headers, that will be awesome!
My ambition is to get this big old Fury down the quarter mile somewhere in the twelves, with this 402 in it, I've still a lot of work to do, I've removed the bolt in fender wells, which has saved a bit of weight, and given me more room to design the headers, it's a big engine bay!
So far, this project has cost a fair amount to get this far, it's taken 10 years from conception to what it is now, I love being unique, the first to do something, and having a goal I'd like to achieve with it, I have a somewhat limited income and have to put money by to buy a this and a that, but I think that is what this hobby is all about for me, and I don't regret a minute of it, I've learnt a hell of a lot, and as time goes by, there seem to be more hop up parts appearing, and will further help me to get this beast down the track at silly miles per hour.
On the road the Fury sounds boss, is very manageable, and instantly responds to a thump on the gas pedal, there aren't many 65 Furys in the UK, and it's a cool looking Mopar, the only Mopar with stacked headlamps, and a pleasing look about it, and when I get it ready for the track, I'm sure it's gonna raise some eyebrows! Anyone interested in having a look, it's on YouTube under 'poly stroker' there's 2 vids of it idling, best listened to with headphones on, to appreciate the sound. Hope you've enjoyed reading this, if there's any interest, or questions about how to get over a certain problem, I'd be happy to help, and keep you posted as to the progress of this project!
Posted By: jyrki

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 02/01/16 08:33 AM

I've always liked Polys, but have so far had very little chance playing with them. Now, give us an aluminum head with raised ports and a modern chamber and you would be starting to make some noice...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 02/01/16 08:38 AM

All the Mopar Poly heads where made for economy, cheaper to make than the Hemi heads in 1954, two barrel intakes, geared for the old people who bought the cheaper Chryslers, Desotos ,Dodges and Plymouth. they where not made to make good HP shruggy
I do know that Plymouth put dual quads on there motors for several years in the mid to late 1950s before they switch to the B and RB motors.Dodge got it correct using the Chrysler 354 dual quad Hemi motors in there D500 cars in 1958 up More power to those that want to turn a non HP motor into a powerhouse thumbs Good luck whistling grin

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 02/01/16 05:06 PM

IIRC the Dodge 325 poly (not related to the poly A except for general design) took some records at Daytona.

Since you have to make the exhaust, considered a turbo? Run it off the original logs, makes up for inadequate intake ports quite well...
Posted By: Twostick

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 02/01/16 07:43 PM

Some food for thought...

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1601-stra...18-small-block/

Not sure why they went to all that trouble boring .040 and grinding on a 4" crank to get 402 cubes when they could have just bored it to 4" and used the 4" crank off the shelf or maxed out the cubes with a 4.125 or 4.25 crank.

Kevin
Posted By: dogdays

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 02/01/16 07:59 PM

Well the Poly 318 might have been a throwaway engine 10 years ago but now there is enough buzz that the ignorant folks who have one hiding under a tarp somewhere think they're gold. Asking prices starting at $300 up to $1000. That's for a core. Kind of the same as 413 blocks.

Trouble is that roughly 12 people are building serious Poly motors. That's not enough to support a commercial effort.

My Poly 318 is sitting in the back yard waiting to be torn down. The '86 318 that replaced it got an instant 5mpg better using the same carb and exhaust system. I also built that engine with the 360 roller cam which is close in duration and lift to the Poly stock cam. I did port the 302 heads myself, I think they're better than stock now, but didn't touch any other parts of the 302s. Mag heads are better than my 302s.

My experience leads me to believe that anything a Poly 318 can do, a 5.2 Mag can do better, except wow'em down at the drive-in. This, for a lot less money. Plus iron head to iron head the Mag is at least 55lb lighter than the Poly.

I was the world's biggest Poly supporter and still think they're cool, but to say they're better than an LA when both are maxed out is just being foolish.

R.

Two other things; the deck height of a proper Poly is 9.600" so the wide-block name means nothing, and the exhaust valve stem is straight up from the cylinder, no angle.

Re: POLY build, and scrap Max Wedge - 02/01/16 10:52 PM

"Wide" is the greater width across the exhaust ports and manifolds.
The poly "A" intake valve stem is at 19 degrees to the bore axis.
© 2024 Moparts Forums