Quote:
The cam button is make of Aluminum.

GARBAGE. Throw it away NOW !!!

The aluminum will wear where it contacts the cover and you`ll end up with filings in the motor.

You want a nylon button or a roller button.

In order to get the necessary clearance you may have to shim the back of the button (use pieces of feeler gauge in the hole before you insert the button. But most likely the button will need to be trimmed to fit. With a nylon button you can file it, grind it of whatever to take material off. But once done you have nothing to worry about as far as wear, filings, etc..

A roller button can be a bit more hassle. They can be shimmed out if need be but they cannot be shortened to fit.

You want a few thou end play with a solid button. A roller button can live with zero end play BUT you absolutely do NOT want any preload. In other words, if the timing cover bows out when you install it over the button - its too tight!!

I used a roller button on my motor. To get the proper (zero) clearance I had to use a thicker (Superformance) cover gasket and then shim behind the button.

To make sure the cover doesn't deflect, install the cover, put a blob of plasticene on the cover roughly where the cam is and install the waterpump with gaskets. Take the pump of and measure the thickness of the squished plasticene. This is the "approximate" thickness of the plate you need to weld or epoxy to either the pump or the cover.