Originally Posted By Grizzly
For those with experience, is there any reason not to use the plastic core?

I have several E bodies, only one has (71 Cuda) a plastic ABS core dash that I bought from Superior Dash (which is/was Ultimate Rides/Carolina Dash/ now currently Dash Pros)

the very early run of ABS core E body dashes were so horrible in fit/finish and grain being so wrong, Alan dumped those on the market for about $200 each (around 2006/7) just to get rid of them.

I purchased my ABS cored dash about 4-5 yrs ago from Superior Dash from the new retooled run of ABS core dashes just to try it out, fit and finish is on par with the steel core units,the grain is very close to original I've had no issues with it in the car for the last few years, IMHO the early/first run of ABS cores gave them such a bad wrap that it has followed them...

I currently (awaiting install) have a 70 Cuda 3 speaker ABS core pad that I bought off Ebay/Dash Pros last year, the detail and grain of the dash are again very nice, and very close to the factory pad,only a side by side comparison yields any minute detail difference, in car you'd be hard pressed to see any difference...

But the only issue with these pads from Dash Pro is purchasing them, as I and Tav have mentioned the delays/communication when sending in a pad, or trying to buy a pad thru them directly, even an ABS core pad, there's always some issue, that's why I suggest a purchase thru EBay when they're offered, because either you get a pad, or your money back from PayPal/EBay, not a song and dance as to when your pad will be ready?

Mike