AFAIK the only hydraulic lifter Polys, at least in the '60s, were the heavy duty trucks, running the 318-3 engine. Everything else ran the solid cam. 0.012/0.018 valve lash.

My '64 ran good at around 36 degrees total. Swapping the DC distributor with the high perf curve really increased the fun factor. LA distributor drops in.

My Poly with stock 2-barrel and 32" rear tires would run all day at 80 with either 3.91 or 3.23 gears, but I ran 2 1/2" duals off the stock manifolds and Dynomax Super Turbos, the long "hemi" ones.

I hated the stock 2-barrel as it would stick the float every once in a while and bathe the top of the engine with gasoline. Also I live at altitude and that carb was running rich. I lucked out and found a Weiand 7503 for a good price and ran a 600 Holley 1850 that I could rejet. Picked up about 40 hp, felt like a larger engine. Also after rejetting I increased mileage from two-barrel's 14 to 15.5 at 70.

The brakes suck, the Scarebird disk swap is quick and easy, gets you Lincoln rotors on the stock hubs. I have not done this.

The largest tires I could fit were 32-11.50 x 15 on 15 x 8 on the back, 31-10.50 x 15 on 15 x 7s on the front. I believe the wheels I used were Americans white spokes.

After I wore those tires out I switched to 16s. I'm running ford cop wheels, which are 16 x 7 with the D shaped holes. The wheels bolt right on the 1965 and newer rear, the fronts the hub is a little too big for the centerbore so I run a thin spacer, although when the hubs are off for the disc conversion it'd be no big deal to machine down the hub to fit the wheel. The wheels are from 1998 to 2002 Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and some Town Cars, also Ranger pickups.

The steering box can be adjusted and if you need parts it is a Saginaw 525 which is in wide use. The link connecting steering arm to axle is expensive.

I used the DC electronic "race only" distributor, IIRC the 732, it is still going after 32 years. It worked with the stock alternator, no more dim lights at stop signs. Batteries lasted 7 years, I have no complaints.

The three best things I did to my '64 were:
1. HP curve electronic distributor
2. Holley 4-barrel
3. Electronic voltage regulator

Good luck with your '65! PM me if you have any more questions.

R.