Had a question about dots vs dashes.

I'm not 100% sure and still collecting information about each. I've seen a lot of stampings now and one thing seem consistent. They stamped them fast when they stamped it. As long as it was legible it was good enough. And that changed the look of the stamp a lot from one axle to another. There's also a good chance that there was more then one set of stamps. I would use whatever was on your car as the first and most important reference.

I've found them where they looks like clear dots and where they look like clear dashes. I try to look and see if the stamp is perfectly clean or smeared before looking to see if it's a dot or dash. The photo attached is of a 70 T/A Challenger rear end. Someone had painted it early on in it's life and when I cleaned off the old paint I could see a very nice clear image of the stamping. It looks like a dot. That dot was on the 3rd member. The other photo is of what looks like a clear dash. It was on an A body housing (from autoxcuda post above). Maybe the housings have more dashes used and the 3rd member is where they used a stamps set with a dot. Might have been a different set and guy stamping them. This is just a guess at this time and I'm still collecting original photos to build a better database.

Use your original stampings as your reference first.

DSC07416.JPG1_13_07Pomona01 (1).JPG

1970 Challenger T/A 4-Speed
1970 Challenger T/A 4-Speed
1970 Challenger T/A Auto
1970 Challenger R/T Auto
1970 Challenger Auto
1970 Challenger RT 440+6 4-Speed
1970 Challenger RT 440+6 4-Speed
1970 Hemi Challenger 4-Speed
1970 Hemi Cuda 4-Speed
1971 Cuda Auto
1971 Cuda 4-Speed