I'm completely stumped... I have tried for over a year to figure out what is causing a knock / tick in my 5.9 magnum motor in my 99 Ram 2500.

>The motor runs as smooth as silk at idle. There is no noise at all.
>When you rev the motor it has a rattle/tick that starts about 2000 rpm. It doesn't matter if it's in neutral or being driven.
>As you drive, the sound only comes at a certain rpm range. If I let off it stops or if I add throttle it will go away. It does seem to get slightly worse as the motor warms up.
>I initially thought it was the torque converter bolts hitting or a cracked flex plate... It is neither.
>It sounds like it is coming from he right side.
>I have removed the valve covers and ran the motor with the covers off. All pushrods are tight and no rocker or lifter noises were found.
>The noise is not coming from the tensioner or alternator
>I have used a stethoscope and for the life of me can't figure out where the noise is coming from.
>There's no oil consumption and compression is good.
>The noise doesn't sound like a rod knock. It sounds more like a valve train issue but it's not detonation or spark knock.
>I cut open the oil filter. There's no metal.
>The motor has about 85K on it. The truck runs great. It just makes the ticking noise.
>I have checked for exhaust leaks at the manifolds...No leaks.
>There's nothing loose that's rattling. I have checked everything. I am frustrated to the point I am ready to pull the motor and rebuild it.

Last edited by Telvis; 11/08/15 05:10 PM.

That's King Weenie to you!