Originally Posted By Dad's '74 D100
Yes, gas would come out of every gasket as well as the lower throttle shaft with a sunk float or dirt in the needle & seat or damaged needle tip. I didn't say a stuck float but a float that has sprung a leak and filled with fuel if brass or become saturated with fuel and again become heavy and never shuts out the flow of fuel because the needle and seat remain open.A sunk float Think of a toilet tank float stuck in a down position and the water continues running. Same toilet but the chain gets stuck under the flapper in the bottom and you end up with a running water. That is the same principal and function of the needle and seat in a carb.If there is trash in the seat it will never get flushed through normal running. I've done this many,many times and it is quick. Run the carb dry by cutting off the fuel supply.After reconnecting the incoming rush of fuel will flush the trash into the fuel bowl. The rig in my avatar log over a 100,000 miles going border to border / coast to coast and have done this trick along the roadside for other rodders. I learned to carry a filtering funnel on our cross country treks.These are the only 2 reasons that will cause the symptoms the op described.
As Stumpy says this thing only has a few parts and is an easy build. I'm new here and don't mean to bump shoulders with anyone but I'm not new to the craft. I would gladly offer to rebuild the op's carb with a provided kit / postage and I'll stand behind it. I don't expect him to but it is a sincere offer. If he$$ bent on spending money why not support a local shop to do a rebuild on your,most likely, original carb.

I'll just leave it to the experts.....I guess owning a carb and fuel injection rebuild company for 10+ years doesn't carry much weight...LOL

Rickster