Originally Posted By autoxcuda
What's a SS lookalike? You mean a Magnum 500?

We have an old school alignment shop in town and they would do old school On Car wheel balancing with my brothers magnum 500's on his 70 Mach 1.

You spin the wheel with a machine with a drum to drive the tire. Then the guy feels the fender for vibration. Adds weight through a trial and error and experience process. Works very well.

I think you are referring to a strobe balancer, uses a strobe light to help you balance the wheel tire assemy.

I have one.

Does the OP have picture of the rim in question, I bet anyone could balance it? Why would WV make a wheel that is hard to get balanced?

FWIW, this is the strobe part of the balancer. The vibration sensor mounts under the car on the corner your balancing and the strobe faces the tire. You usually put a white mark on the tire sidewall right next to the valve stem or use the valve stem as reference and spin the tire assy and use the strobe to determine where the weights go, no guessing involved.

Can't find a picture of the motor that drives the wheel yet, but did find this picture of my tire lathe. It'll true the tire on the spindle to provide a exactly round tire. It minimizes big time how much weight must be used to balance your tire and provides a super smooth ride. Makes your tires last longer too.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 09/05/15 08:55 AM.